The Things You Remember

Sorry Scott!! Good try but those ain't the words they sang when I saw 'em :no:

Not the ones some of the D.J.s got burned for playin either!!

Last edited:
Keith Lane said:
Puleeeeee, NO trips down Memory Lane.
Believe it or not my first wife's name was Memory......
I direct you to see MY LAST name.......
I went to Lane Tech. I wrote a Daily article about the "History of the Real Albert G. Lane family."

Comp Lane,

Penny Lane,

Candy Cane,

Lois,

yes, I think Memory.

and several more I can't remember. It was very long ago.

Last edited:
Yes, there was quite a controversy 'bout this song when I was a teen (which will give you an idea how long ago that it was popular).

The Kingsmen certainly had a version they played in person that was different than this. 'Course the AM radios, reception and equipment of the time created many a songs were the lyrics weren't clear; so, one improvised when singing along!!

Best,

Dave

Ken Ibold said:
513 898 4246

My (party line) phone number when I was 4.

phone number when I was 2 was "42J" Yup it was a party line 4 long and 2 short rings. The J was for the last name. Yes it was rural America. At 5 years old the number was changed to "507M" 5 short rings in 7 seconds.

At less then 2 years old rember a flight of B29's fly over the farm at less than 500 feet. The house shook for days as well as I did.

John

Dave Siciliano said:
And it wasn't in 1955 either!!

Dave and Scott;

The Kingsmen I remember all too well late 1964 well into 1965. I use to play it on the guitar with my buddies.

It was also the time when I got my "Greetings" letter from Uncle Sam. Yikes.

John

Dave Siciliano said:
Yes, there was quite a controversy 'bout this song when I was a teen (which will give you an idea how long ago that it was popular).

The Kingsmen certainly had a version they played in person that was different than this. 'Course the AM radios, reception and equipment of the time created many a songs were the lyrics weren't clear; so, one improvised when singing along!!

Best,

Dave

The biggest problem was that recorded it with a single microphone hanging over their heads so the quality was, shall we say, not optimum.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_316.html
[WARNING: Explicit language.] http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/louie.htm

Last edited:
Mike:

Do you remember the song American Pie (Don McClain I believe)? When the press asked him what the lyrics meant he refused to explain. Said something to the effect of poetry is what people want it to be.

Same benefit to the lyrics of this song not being clear. It meant a lot of different things to a lot of folks. Definitely not what the internet translation posted above stated. :D

DIamond 38798--best family friends. OXford 75977. My home phone growing up. Actually, my parent had that phone number for decades afterward (and I did get to thinking of it as 697-5977), but they moved a couple of years ago. Frustrates the heck out of me. After 45 years of the same phone number, I had to learn a new one!

I thought I was good, but some of you have amazing feats of memory. Your ex-wife's SSN? I can't remember my current husband's SSN, though mine, of course, is permanently engraved in my brain cells.

The Kingsmen may have written and copyrighted the song in 1955, but didn't release it until the early 60s. I never have been very good at understanding lyrics, so they could have been saying anything as far as I knew.

Those were the days.....

Judy

Dave Siciliano said:
Sorry Scott!! Good try but those ain't the words they sang when I saw 'em :no:

Not the ones some of the D.J.s got burned for playin either!!

Louie Louie lyrics were never anything different than what was posted here except in the minds of a vast number of teenagers as well as several politician and clergy types who were traumatized by their own wild imagination.

Dave Siciliano said:
Mike:

Do you remember the song American Pie (Don McClain I believe)?

IIRC

Bye bye Miss American pie...drove the chevy to the levy but the levy was dry...and good 'ole boys were drinking wiskey and rye...and this will be the day that I die.

Had it on a 45.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
IIRC

Bye bye Miss American pie...drove the chevy to the levy but the levy was dry...and good 'ole boys were drinking wiskey and rye...and this will be the day that I die.

Had it on a 45.

Len

For some reason I had thought that the song was about the " the day the music died". Meaning the day Buddy holly was killed. :dunno:

'Course, it said that among othre things. The plane that went down--a v-tail Bonanza if I recall correctly, also had some other rock n roll folks on board. But when asked to 'xplain it, the time I saw, he said it meant what ever folks wanted it to mean.

Dave Siciliano said:
'Course, it said that among othre things. The plane that went down--a v-tail Bonanza if I recall correctly, also had some other rock n roll folks on board. But when asked to 'xplain it, the time I saw, he said it meant what ever folks wanted it to mean.

Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly & the Big Bopper (Jiles Perry Richardson) & pilot Roger Peterson, 2/3/59

Len

Back