The Sun Ship Game on Youtube

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
In honor of the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US National Soaring Championship in Marfa, TX, The Sun Ship Game has been posted in 8 parts on Youtube. Unfortunately all of the great BeeGee's music has been removed due to copyright issues.

Wow, that was about 80 minutes of pretty well-spent time... thanks for posting that. :yesnod:

Hey there is no need to download a crummy quality version of this movie illegally from the internet anymore! the new DVD has been released, made from the original master, with the excellent Bee Gee's tunes. Mine (and Pete's) shipped today. www.cumulus-soaring.com and www.eglider.org are carrying the movie.

If you can wait long enough there most likely will be a copy or two available for viewing at Gaston's this summer :D

If you can wait long enough there most likely will be a copy or two available for viewing at Gaston's this summer :D

...worth watching, if only to see the exceptional hair-dos... :D

I gotta say this movie is top notch for anyone remotely interested in sailplane competition.

The generation of gliders shown in this video were among the most difficult aircraft to fly safely, and many had atrocious handling qualities. For instance, turning left required initial right aileron application to drag the left wing back and down with adverse yaw. Spin recovery? Forget it. VNE? Who knows. Everybody modified their own ships to gain an edge, and some were never test flown with their final mods before the competition.

One of the aircraft in the video had about a 50:1 glide ratio with nothing for glide slope control beyond a drogue chute. That's like locking the power on a C172 at 2100RPM and descending to the numbers with no slipping. You can add full flaps if you need them, but they'll extend instantly upon deployment and you have no option to retract them again. Sounds easy, especially after a 5 hour competition in 100+ degree Texas summer heat. Might as well pop the canopy vent and smoke a cigarette on final.

Anyway, the BeeGees soundtrack only adds to the experience in this brilliantly executed film. Like a lot of good movies, you have to watch it a few times to capture every nuance, but it does a great job of documenting a truly historic era in sailplane racing.

If you don't appreciate it, you need to get a glider ride. Ask me and I'd be happy to hook you up.

Cheers,

M

matt - excellent synopsis. I'm just trying to figure out what a Horse Child Breakfast is

Okay, hate to be a naysayer, but I've had a glider ride, and I found the movie to be less than scintillating when we watched it at Gastons. Sorry! If you're into that, however, I'm sure that it's wonderful! :dunno:

grant - the presentation at gastons sucked. there was basically no sound at all. and there was too much distraction what with being surrounded by a bunch of pilot friends.

I cant wait to get my copy! I think a horse child breakfast is what I ate every day and now I am as big as a horse?

Got my copy yesterday. I gotta admit that I had it in my DVD player before I had my coat off :)

Wow what an improvement! The movie is still grainy due to the use of 16mm fil initially, but the color reproduction and sound blow away the old bootleg VHS to DVD transfer I have. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of extra features, but there are some nice liner notes.

And most importantly for Adam, the Bee Gee songs are still there :D

I do not believe I have ever been stoned enough to watch the whole thing...

Back