The step from college to first regional job.

Dmitri Scheidel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NorCali.Pilot
Hello forum!
I am currently a freshman at the University of North Dakota, I’m studying commercial aviation and aviation studies, and I will be obtaining all certificates up to an R-ATP before I hopefully get my first position on the line at a regional operation.

For those who have been to a flying university (like UND), and graduated pretty much into a regional; how was the step from living in a dorm/apt. to relocating and starting your initial training at a 135/121 operation? I am a big planner and I’m nervous about how it will be like to make such a switch in life style and if it is a financially-stressful event (I’m on full loans right now).
Also for those who have been at an airline for a while, what’s it like switching domiciles all the time and having to find new places to live? I feel like it would drain my pockets immediately having to find new places to live.

I know some of it is personal info and not the kind of thing to talk about on a public forum, in that case anyone know someone/somewhere I can direct all of my questions to?
Thanks!
Dmitri.

Hello forum!
I am currently a freshman at the University of North Dakota, I’m studying commercial aviation and aviation studies, and I will be obtaining all certificates up to an R-ATP before I hopefully get my first position on the line at a regional operation.

For those who have been to a flying university (like UND), and graduated pretty much into a regional; how was the step from living in a dorm/apt. to relocating and starting your initial training at a 135/121 operation? I am a big planner and I’m nervous about how it will be like to make such a switch in life style and if it is a financially-stressful event (I’m on full loans right now).
Also for those who have been at an airline for a while, what’s it like switching domiciles all the time and having to find new places to live? I feel like it would drain my pockets immediately having to find new places to live.

I know some of it is personal info and not the kind of thing to talk about on a public forum, in that case anyone know someone/somewhere I can direct all of my questions to?
Thanks!
Dmitri.

Ask here, no doubt many UND grads will respond to you. This is a message forum for regional airlines as well as other areas of professional flying, like the majors, cargo, corporate etc.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/

Last edited:
Does your school have a plan for providing academic and career planning advisors to their students? If I were you I’d sit down with my advisor and ask these questions.

I'm sure others will chime in, but as you move up the seniority ranks your ability to dictate your schedule will improve, and changing domiciles will not necessarily mean moving. You'll be able to commute to your domicile from your residence. It's easier if you live at your domicile, but not absolutely necessary.

By the way, I hope you'll understand that your first job will be building hours to meet the ATP minimums of 1500 hours. Sure, you can get the restricted ATP with less, but you can't exercise the privileges of the certificate until you get the hours, so expect to do some flight instructing prior to your first 121 job.

My bad I meant to mention that after I ‘graduate’ I will be staying for a year or so to get the 950 hours (instructing) and then moving on.

Back