The state of Hawaii killing more GA

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by smv, Feb 12, 2020.

1. smv

smv Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
  2. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    Hawaii doesn't seem particularly aviation friendly. There was just a bill proposed (and thankfully struck down) that would ban sightseeing flights on Sundays.

3. smv

smv Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
  4. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Sad.

I'm honestly surprised how many airports are still actually open. Outside of tourist areas or places with commercial operations the majority of airports I visit are completely dead... rows of dilapidated hangars and a ramp full of old planes with clouded glass and flat tires, a third of which are missing propellers

Question for the seaplane folks here.. are you able to land anywhere? Is there no way the story linked by SMV could have seen the operators simply moore the planes and take patrons out via boat? Isn't it, in many ways, no different than a boat?

skier likes this.
  5. Brad Smith

Brad Smith Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Smith
    Sad that they are putting seaplanes out of business since air travel to Hawaii began with huge Clipper seaplanes that were the only option before improved runways. How quickly they forget.

6. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
  7. NordicDave

NordicDave Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    If this becomes true, who would be available to find and rescue the crew of the SS Minnow?

ETres and GMascelli like this.
  8. smv

smv Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    For the Beaver and C206s they were using, open ocean is not an option except on very rare exceptionally smooth days. On Oahu, that leaves the bays. We used Kaneohe Bay for practicing takeoff and landing but with the prevailing winds it can be pretty rough most of the year. What they were leasing was the mooring for their dock, office, and chapel. The sealane is still officially there but pretty much useless without somewhere to park.

It appears that the facilities are still there because now and then they appear on one of the stupid network TV shows that are recorded there. Guessing Hollywood must have a larger budget than Pat and Debbie Magie ever did.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Tantalum likes this.
  9. N1120A

N1120A Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    Who is blaming the state here? Tell the military no for once.

10. smv

smv Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    The Army owns the property and is leasing it to the state during daylight hours. At sunset the property reverts to Army property and is off limits. During the day, it is a Public Use airport.

20200212_204602.jpg

11. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    That sucks for the glider, parachute, and ultralight businesses that are based there. My wife and I took a flight in the ultralights a couple of years ago, it was the first time I'd been in a weight shift aircraft since hang gliding in the 70s. :D

My pilot was the owner of the business, we swapped old stories about the Sandias, Torrey Pines, and other places we had both flown. He is a CFI, and the flight was classified as instruction, so I was able to log an hour of dual.

The aircraft were super nice, and I was told they cost almost $50K. He has a big investment in the business, and if Dillingham closes he'll be SOL. Doesn't seem right to get four months notice you're getting the boot.

12. smv

smv Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    There is (was?) a dude doing powered hang glider rides out of Hana. Wonder if it is the same dude?

http://imagesdesavions.com/hawaii/trike/trike1.html

13. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP