The sounds of a Pitts Model 12

Finally got the Model 12 out last Sunday. Rain has been pounding us and its been sitting over a month. I couldn't get my wife in it but she shot a video with her crappy/blurry iphone 6 camera. This thing draws a crowd everytime I light it off :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_EpvEN_hBk

Did ya buy it already flying or get the kit from Kevin ?

Ps... Sounds KOOL...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I bought it from a very awesome guy that built it Gunther Balz.... He bought the complete HP package from the Kimball's. I bought it a few months ago, it is a 2010 Model and had 57 hours total time on it. Gunther needed room for his new project, he is building a full scale Spitfire from scratch and it is getting really close. Gunther is one of the most interesting guys I have met, he is 85 years old and still doing this stuff. Heck he gets around way better than me and I am half his age.

Last edited:
Sweet, how much HP are you pulling? I saw one M-14 rated at 475 HP... :eek:

Aren't they 360 and 400 rated???

475 must be highly boosted and fueled up...:dunno:

Well, the Chinese use them rated at 285 hp in the CJ-6, the standard HP I was always familiar with was 360, then I saw a 425. Not long ago I saw a 475hp claim. I'd like a 425hp Wilga on amphibs.:yesnod: I'm sure they have added both boost and RPM to get 475.

Well, the Chinese use them rated at 285 hp in the CJ-6, the standard HP I was always familiar with was 360, then I saw a 425. Not long ago I saw a 475hp claim. I'd like a 425hp Wilga on amphibs.:yesnod:

That would be a hoot......:yes::yes:

Mine is the M14P which is 360hp. Barrett Precision Engines does builds with higher compression pistons and fuel injection which makes lots more power. That is probably the 475hp deal.

Mine is the M14P which is 360hp. Barrett Precision Engines does builds with higher compression pistons and fuel injection which makes lots more power. That is probably the 475hp deal.

Sounds likely, is yours not FI? I have never personally dealt with them, for some reason I was under the impression they were all FI...:dunno:

Is that three-point only for landing? Looks like a huge prop.

Also, does the guy building the spitfire have a build site, or at least some pictures? Sounds like a very interesting build.

Is that three-point only for landing? Looks like a huge prop.

Also, does the guy building the spitfire have a build site, or at least some pictures? Sounds like a very interesting build.

3 Point only takeoff and landing. To be honest I have owned 5 biplanes before this one and I also have a J-3 Cub. I have never done a wheel landing. Every landing I have done in a taildragger is 3 point.

Gunther does not have a website. I believe he just keeps to himself. He has 2 helpers that work with him full time building these planes. Gunther used to race a Bearcat and P-51 Mustang's at Reno. Pretty interesting
I was VERY impressed with his Lancair Legacy and Spitfire build. He made the comment that you can build anything but most people are not willing to spend the money it takes :)

3 Point only takeoff and landing. To be honest I have owned 5 biplanes before this one and I also have a J-3 Cub. I have never done a wheel landing. Every landing I have done in a taildragger is 3 point.

Gunther does not have a website. I believe he just keeps to himself. He has 2 helpers that work with him full time building these planes. Gunther used to race a Bearcat and P-51 Mustang's at Reno. Pretty interesting
I was VERY impressed with his Lancair Legacy and Spitfire build. He made the comment that you can build anything but most people are not willing to spend the money it takes :)

Yup....

It is the ol "cubic dollars" thing....;)......:D

Pressure carb...
It adjusts mixture automatically also. It does not have a mixture control.

Ok, that explains it, "Throttle Body Fuel Injection" and "Pressure Carb" are basically the same thing. It really is a"Fuel Injected" engine, it just injects the fuel at the plenum rather than the cylinder port.

Here are some better pics.

Attachments

• model125.jpg
    model125.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 44
  • model124.jpg
    model124.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 32
  • model123.jpg
    model123.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 42
Back