The Ship of Ships

I think it's an expensive dinosour. Missile cruisers have a role right now but will become obsolete well before the ship's lifetime.

Here are a couple shots I did a couple years ago of the Dry Dock which was shown in the video. The 3rd image is of the first of two bridges I cross to travel to my house on Georgetown Island. Incidentally, the Sasanoa River at left of the bridge is not the river to be navigated by the BIW ships en route to the ocean. The Kennebec River(and Bath Iron Works) is to the right of the imaged bridge. Images 1/2 and #3 were only flight-seconds apart.
(#4 shows both rivers)

HR

Attachments

• DSC01884 (1).JPG
    16.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC01885 (2).JPG
    DSC01885 (2).JPG
    9.7 MB · Views: 35
  • DSC01886 (1).JPG
    16.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Bath's Sagadahoc and Carlton Bridges.jpg
    Bath's Sagadahoc and Carlton Bridges.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Very cool. The article said the 78 megawatt engine provides enough electricity to power 78 million 100 watt light bulbs.....:confused: ........ Journalism majors...:rolleyes2:

My company has equipment on this vessel. Sweeeeet....

Very cool. The article said the 78 megawatt engine provides enough electricity to power 78 million 100 watt light bulbs.....:confused: ........ Journalism majors...:rolleyes2:
Maybe they only turn 780,000 of them on at the same time.

No, he's driving the DDG! :lol:

Yeah, this is Henning giving the crew a pre-launch briefing.

182252279.jpg

Henning has said, previously, that a Bath-built ship is among the best on which he's sailed. Accordingly, the prior comments referencing him could ring true within his mind. I'm waiting for the ship to go down the Kennebec; I want to be in the air that day.

HR

Henning has said, previously, that a Bath-built ship is among the best on which he's sailed. Accordingly, the prior comments referencing him could ring true within his mind. I'm waiting for the ship to go down the Kennebec; I want to be in the air that day.

HR

What Bath ship(s) has Henning sailed on? They haven't built a civilian ship since 1981.

That said, there is a great deal of truth in the statement. If you go aboard two different DDGs built at the same time (one from Bath and one from Pascagoula) you will be able to easily tell where each ship was built, both in the quality of the steel and the quality of the construction/craftsmanship. Comparing Ingalls to BIW is like comparing General Motors to BMW.

- - - can't answer your query about Henning's sailing on a BIW ship, but I suspect it may have been one of the commercial vessels such as the RO-RO(Roll-On/Roll-Off) series the yard built, maybe the American Presidents Shipping Line. I suspect he'll be checking-in..

HR

Nice to see BIW is still building ships. I had a few uncles that worked there. Electricians, pipefitters, etc. One would sign on as baker for sea trials or delivery to the Boston Navy Yard.

I miss seeing the ships slide down the ways and splash into the river to be snagged by the tugboats. Always planned on a mid day high tide and hopefully in conjunction with a full moon. Using the dry dock is not so exciting.

- - - can't answer your query about Henning's sailing on a BIW ship, but I suspect it may have been one of the commercial vessels such as the RO-RO(Roll-On/Roll-Off) series the yard built, maybe the American Presidents Shipping Line. I suspect he'll be checking-in..

HR

Henning has a 1600 ton Master's License.....he isn't a big ship guy.

Nice to see BIW is still building ships. I had a few uncles that worked there. Electricians, pipefitters, etc. One would sign on as baker for sea trials or delivery to the Boston Navy Yard.

I miss seeing the ships slide down the ways and splash into the river to be snagged by the tugboats. Always planned on a mid day high tide and hopefully in conjunction with a full moon. Using the dry dock is not so exciting.

Bath just stopped using the inclined ways to launch the DDGs a few years ago. I believe they were one of the last big ship yards to launch ships that way.

Back