The Secret Cause of Flame Wars

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Well, I don't think it's so secret, but that's the article title...
According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

Whole article is here on Wired.

Originally noted last week on Slashdot, where the comments can be particularly sarcastic (boy, is that an understatement).

-Rich

rpadula said:
Well, I don't think it's so secret, but that's the article title...
According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

Whole article is here on Wired.

Originally noted last week on Slashdot, where the comments can be particularly sarcastic (boy, is that an understatement).

-Rich

Not at all surprising since something like 80% of all 'comunication' is non-verbal (tone of voice, facial expression). It's one reason why communications via email or forums is difficult, at best.

Some people project a completely different tone in e-mails than they do in person while other people seem to write in ways that are more representative of their actual personality. I've noticed this particularly at work.

That said, I don't think these misunderstandings cause flame wars nearly as much as people who post statements just looking for a reaction.

PS. I love the bunny with the pancake. Even read up on Oolong. :yes:

Back