The Road

Orville Wright

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Grizzly Adams
I just finished Cormick McCarthy's The Road. Same guy that wrote No Country for Old Men. It was a good read and I recommend it. I am a huge Larry Niven fan and I recommend The Mote in God's Eye as a first read for Niven. That or Niven's Ringworld.

Cormac is always a good read, but you might wanna put the pistols and alcohol away for a day or two until you come up for air after reading one of his novels. :sad:

If anything, The Road will make you want to think about laying up some dehydrated food, guns, water, ammo, bandaids--the usual survivalist fare--unless you plan to mimic the novel in a real-world SHTF scenario.

Otherwise, get in line. I'm sure the FEMA folks will take great care of you. :eek:

I liked Niven and Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer; I've read the pages out of that book, and I am surprised it has never been movie-ized.

I just finished Cormick McCarthy's The Road. Same guy that wrote No Country for Old Men. It was a good read and I recommend it.

I've seen both movies, but not read the books. I'll have to raid my daughter's library and read her copies.

I am a huge Larry Niven fan and I recommend The Mote in God's Eye as a first read for Niven. That or Niven's Ringworld.

I liked Niven and Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer; I've read the pages out of that book, and I am surprised it has never been movie-ized.

I have copies of all three of those titles. Yeah, Pournelle and Nivel spin a good yarn. Lucifer's Hammer was written a while ago, and parts are bit dated, but they really did a good job of sticking to the science. When that comet hit Jupiter a decade or so after the book was written, it happened pretty much the way they predicted.

Yeah, saw the movies. I read tons of technical journals, so my pleasure reading is usually somewhat on the lighter side. Niven and Pournelle were two of the giants of science fiction, Niven hasn't written anything by himself in decades, though Pournelle still does.

The Flying Sorcerers was a Niven collaboration well worth the read that you might not have heard of otherwise.

Back