The right equiplment code

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I think I am either /U or /G. I am not sure which would be appropriate for my KLN-94 equipped C-172S.

AFAIK, the KLN-94 can only do advisory VNAV which is why I'm thinking /U, but I've been told the airplane is /G.

How do I know?

And what's the deal with the aircraft categories at the bottom of approach plates (different minimums)? How does that work?

/G assuming the database is up to date OR you're prepared to ensure that it's up-to-date "enough" for your planned route.

Aircraft categories refer to the approach speed. Faster aircraft need more visibility, especially for circling and non-precision approaches. You're category A.

Where can I find enough information to arrive at your same conclusion?

I think I am either /U or /G. I am not sure which would be appropriate for my KLN-94 equipped C-172S.

AFAIK, the KLN-94 can only do advisory VNAV which is why I'm thinking /U, but I've been told the airplane is /G.

How do I know?

And what's the deal with the aircraft categories at the bottom of approach plates (different minimums)? How does that work?

Assuming that the KLN94 was installed for IFR, you should be able to file /G. See AIM 5-1-8 and Table 5-1-2 "/G - Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), including GPS or Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), with en route and terminal capability". An AFMS is required for IFR use of the GPS and it provides you with any limitations of an IFR installed KLN94. The standard AFMS for the KLN94 permits IFR enroute, terminal, and approach operations. See the limitations in the attached file.

View attachment KLN94 ifr limitations.pdf

The categories are explained in the AIM, section 5-4-7 (a). Your aircraft category is based on 1.3 times VS0. You must use the category that applies to your aircraft or if you fly an approach at a higher speed, you must use the category that applies to that speed range. Category A is less than 91 Knots, B is 91 to 120 Knots, C is 121 to 140 Knots, D is 141 to 165 Kts, and E is 166 Knots or greater. In a 172, you probably have to lose a wing to get into category D or higher :rofl:.

Thanks for the explanations and links. I missed that small word with big meaning in the /G description.

The word is OR

Back