The replacement for the 172

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Its not an airplane, but just as big of a money pit. We moved to the 4th largest lake in Missouri and the wife thought we should have a boat. No place to hangar an airplane around here right now, but the city has received a grant to build new ones, but it will be 18 - 24 months before they are finished. So I have lots of time to look around for a new one.

Attachments

• 100_1950.JPG
    100_1950.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Its not an airplane, but just as big of a money pit. We moved to the 4th largest lake in Missouri and the wife thought we should have a boat. No place to hangar an airplane around here right now, but the city has received a grant to build new ones, but it will be 18 - 24 months before they are finished. So I have lots of time to look around for a new one.

Hi Dean! Which Lake are you at? I live at Truman Lake, Warsaw, Mo.

Small boats aren't that bad, but when you start putting in vacuum heads and air conditioning and needing bottom paint, it adds up quick. I found my 38 foot aft cabin Cruisers to be more expensive than any airplane I've owned. And that's before you add in the 1 nmpg you get blasting around at 17 knots.

But something like my 21-foot party boat is an economical way to have fun.

But something like my 21-foot party boat is an economical way to have fun.
Beware of the dual seat cover option (shown in the accompanying link). It is very expensive--much more so than the normal single seat cover option, which itself is much more expensive than no seat cover at all. Dual seat covers often clash. If you show long term preference for one seat cover the other seat cover's maintenance costs can rapidly skyrocket, often drawing the preferred seat cover's maintenance costs upward, too. At some point you may even loose both seat covers, plus the boat.

Beware of the dual seat cover option (shown in the accompanying link). It is very expensive--much more so than the normal single seat cover option, which itself is much more expensive than no seat cover at all. Dual seat covers often clash. If you show long term preference for one seat cover the other seat cover's maintenance costs can rapidly skyrocket, often drawing the preferred seat cover's maintenance costs upward, too. At some point you may even loose both seat covers, plus the boat.
Unless one of the seat covers created the other, in which case beware of the younger seat cover's friends ...

Nice party boat. Is the blonde standard equipment?

Small boats aren't that bad, but when you start putting in vacuum heads and air conditioning and needing bottom paint, it adds up quick. I found my 38 foot aft cabin Cruisers to be more expensive than any airplane I've owned. And that's before you add in the 1 nmpg you get blasting around at 17 knots.
I've heard callers to Neal Boortz complain about "rich pilots" and their fancy airplanes. He's had a few with some pricey bass rigs which more often than not cost a heck of a lot more than many of the airplanes owned by your typical private pilot.

I forget who on here... their signature line is something like... "I drive old cars so I can fly an old airplane." That says it all for most of us.

I forget who on here... their signature line is something like... "I drive old cars so I can fly an old airplane." That says it all for most of us.

That'd be me.
And no truer words have ever come from my keyboard.
I paid "Just" $20K for my ugly old C-172L in the spring of '97.
My regular ride is an F-150, with 210K miles and my Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson-WhoeverelseneedsaMonument Atlanta International Airport Car is a MB 300D with >400K and it's even uglier than the plane.

That'd be me.
And no truer words have ever come from my keyboard.
I paid "Just" $20K for my ugly old C-172L in the spring of '97.
My regular ride is an F-150, with 210K miles and my Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson-WhoeverelseneedsaMonument Atlanta International Airport Car is a MB 300D with >400K and it's even uglier than the plane.
Keith, that cracked me up! And man, is it ever true! In Jawjuh, to have something named after you, you don't have to be all that well known, you don't have to be dead, you don't even have to be honest. You just have to have the right connection in a government body! :D

When the late traffic reporter, Keith Kallen, was still flying the city, he referred to one particular overpass over I-85 as the "No Name Bridge."

Keith, that cracked me up! And man, is it ever true! In Jawjuh, to have something named after you, you don't have to be all that well known, you don't have to be dead, you don't even have to be honest. You just have to have the right connection in a government body! :D

When the late traffic reporter, Keith Kallen, was still flying the city, he referred to one particular overpass over I-85 as the "No Name Bridge."

And to prove the point, I live in Conyers about a mile from.......

The Keith Kallan Memorial Highway.. I kid you not.

Back