the Red Board?

Right. Although we are encouraged not to speak ill of any other board... the facts of it - for me - is that the other place, because it almost completely lacks any type of moderator influence, often turns into a complete furball with little regard for common decency or politeness.
And some may like that. (Others may disagree with my view.) That's fine.

I like it here better, maybe its my thin skin. More likely, I find it a waste of time to see people making unrestricted personal attacks on each other day in and day out.
Who made that quote? Something about life being short, best to enjoy the journey, be nice to each other, blahblahblah.(!)

You have to remember my perspective also includes moderating a internet chat of 500 very outspoken members. It is pretty tough to make everyone happy with your chosen level of... moderation. Some will think you are running roughshod over everyone, while at the same moment others think you let too many people get away with stuff. Its like being a politician, a judge, a policeman - never is everyone happy with what you do!

I don't understand "personal attack". I am of the warrior class and sticks and stones don't break nuthing. I don't feel like I've ever been personally attacked, maybe because I haven't.

Could someone quote a personal attack, or make one up so I can understand what personal attack means a little better. Because I read the blue and red boards almost daily, and I don't see personal attacks. Like I said, probably because I don't know what it means.

And thank you for clarifying blue/red for me.

Brian Austin said:
Per the Rules of Conduct definition:

"Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way."

Read more here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_faq_rules_of_conduct

Is post number 23 a personal attack. I'm sorry, not trying to be a smart guy, but I wanna make sure I understand.

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=3201&page=2&pp=20

kellyo said:
Is post number 23 a personal attack. I'm sorry, not trying to be a smart guy, but I wanna make sure I understand.

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=3201&page=2&pp=20

Thats kinda close. Better example of personal attack to me is:

"I can't discuss this with you, you're too dumb to comprehend"

or

"Your political stance is indicative of the way you treat your wife and kids. You are a horrible person."

That kind of stuff.

Ahhhhh. Thanks Nick. I think I understand better. If you think someone might add you to their ignore list, then don't type what you wanted to type...got it.

I was mistaking attack with a threat.

Nick's nailed it. We discuss issues and ideas - we don't tolerate personal insults. It's a difficult judgement call - intent (or perceived intent) behind the statement is a factor - but in general its a question of simply showing respect for each other and other members of the Aviation community.

I know it's not the "red board", but if you don't want to get personally attacked, stay away from..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FLY-UL/

I contacted one of the mod's about a situation and he refused to do anything about it.. so I removed my name from the mailing list and quite posting there.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Let'sgoflying! said:
Right. Although we are encouraged not to speak ill of any other board... the facts of it - for me - is that the other place, because it almost completely lacks any type of moderator influence, often turns into a complete furball with little regard for common decency or politeness.
And some may like that. (Others may disagree with my view.) That's fine.

I like it here better, maybe its my thin skin. More likely, I find it a waste of time to see people making unrestricted personal attacks on each other day in and day out.
Who made that quote? Something about life being short, best to enjoy the journey, be nice to each other, blahblahblah.(!)

You have to remember my perspective also includes moderating a internet chat of 500 very outspoken members. It is pretty tough to make everyone happy with your chosen level of... moderation. Some will think you are running roughshod over everyone, while at the same moment others think you let too many people get away with stuff. Its like being a politician, a judge, a policeman - never is everyone happy with what you do!

Dave, I understand what you are saying, but read the AOPA web boards as you would any chat room, it is informitive entertainment..

When some one says "You are a #*%$#" think what a jerk, I'm better than that..and move on..

There is some very good knowledgable people on that page, with a wide base of experiance to draw upon.

Yes we get going and have some heated debates, but the real people there are always profesional, never attack, but get thier zingers in anyway.

Many of the same people are here, but we seem to be intimidated by the rules or what ever, and do not get the heated debates going here..

I think the debate going with Ron, Marty, and My self over Airworthiness is a prime example, that would not happen here. I don't know the reason it won't but I feel what ever the reason it is a loss to this page.

the question and answer debate forum is a great learning tool, but it just doesn't happen here, Why?

Why not make a forum called "unmoderated". forum discription: This is a bad neighborhood, if you get harassed, the police won't respond to any calls. Good luck!

kellyo said:
Why not make a forum called "unmoderated". forum discription: This is a bad neighborhood, if you get harassed, the police won't respond to any calls. Good luck!

very good discreption of "soap box"

NC19143 said:
Many of the same people are here, but we seem to be intimidated by the rules or what ever, and do not get the heated debates going here..
That raises a good question that I've been mulling over in my mind for a while, and that is:
How can we adjust the wording of the rules of conduct to make it clear that intense debate is fine, so long as the personal attacks are kept out of it? We have no problem at all with spirited debate so long as it's professional and respectful. :)

Greebo said:
That raises a good question that I've been mulling over in my mind for a while, and that is:
How can we adjust the wording of the rules of conduct to make it clear that intense debate is fine, so long as the personal attacks are kept out of it? We have no problem at all with spirited debate so long as it's professional and respectful. :)

As a criminal defense attorney, one of the things that I have learned over the years is that you cannot legislate morality. You can put down rules, and enforce them, but you simply cannot make people be polite, think about what they say, act respectfully towards each other etc. You can't legislate that. So you make rules that have some of that same effect. They may occasionally have a chilling effect on otherwise ok behavior, but they control the most unruly behavior.

That is what has been done on this board. The fact that no-one is beating on anyone else with a verbal tire iron seems to me proof positive that it is working. Some occasionally think the rules are a bit too much, some think there should be more rules.

I figure that means you have it just about right, neither the libertarians nor the rigid rule followers are entirely happy, meaning you have a balance in the middle.

From what I have seen of other boards, there is often an anarchical side to the debate: it gets out of control and then gets nasty. Moreover, some of the more "spirited" debate elsewhere often seems to turn into "mean spirited" debate at the drop of a hat, even outside of political forums. That, in conjunction with the trollers and spammers, can make for a forum that is more about Roman Coliseum and less about intellectual discussion. Everyone is sitting around watching the lions tear apart the contestants.

All this is to say that I like it here. As so many have said, it is comfortable. I know I could have any of the discussions I have had here elsewhere, face to face, over a beer, and not be uncomfortable with that. The same cannot be said for other forums that I have seen.

Besides, no one has threatened to sue anyone recently here ;)

My 2 pennies.

Jim G

I figure that means you have it just about right, neither the libertarians nor the rigid rule followers are entirely happy, meaning you have a balance in the middle.
Yeah, I've generally considered that if someone from both sides of the control/freedom issue is p-o'd at me, I must be doing something right. ;)

But still - I have tried before to encourage more ... intense (but civil) discussion ... and I'm just wondering if there is more we can do to make it clear that having a debate is great - makes for good forums - just so long as the somewhat fuzzy line between "difference of opinion" and "personal remark" is respected. Call it 'the neutral zone' maybe... ;)

Back