The puppy's first flight

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Finally had a chance to take the puppy up for about 30min tonight. I'd say overall he did darned good. During a few 30deg turns and one time when I nosed it down he got more nervous. But he still wants to live with us so we're calling it a success!

A couple pics of Cosmo earning his wings :)

.20180531_193043.jpg 20180531_193329.jpg

Good job!View attachment 63618 My dogs (Bucky and Bailey) are great passengers.
Cool!

So I do need to ask about the dog muffs. I have read mixed reviews on them. Would you mind sharing how they work for Bucky and Bailey?

We are definitely concerned about Cosmo's hearing. A few reviews indicated the overall sound reduction of the muffs wasn't enough to warrant their use. We were thinking something like a soft band to hold his ear flaps down over his ears and I know this actually provides some hearing protection.

I flew my dog as a little pup and later as a 1.5yr old without muffs, I think the muffs are more some type of feel good thing for the pilot more than the dog. I wouldn't spend the $$

Mine has probably around 500ish hours logged with me. He pulls the mutt muffs off as soon as he can, I gave up on them. He still willingly hops in the plane every time I say lets go, so he still enjoys it.

Oh wait.... you said his name was Cosmo.

e2c8abc6c7e90eb144c5898b5aa1ca74.jpg

And of course, there's this for Halloween.

article-2047830-0E53CB7700000578-444_634x602.jpg

So I do need to ask about the dog muffs. I have read mixed reviews on them. Would you mind sharing how they work for Bucky and Bailey?
Some days they leave them on, some days they don’t. Good bit of trouble refitting in flight when they decide “nope, not today “ - so they stay off then.
No way to know for sure if hearing protection in dogs is of long term benefit; but to me it just makes sense. A few $s towards the boys’ welfare is not as big a deal as some like to make it.
BTW, the brand we use is from 4-Paws Aviation.

Back