The Prop is back from the Shop

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
A few weeks ago I posted about getting the prop dynamically balanced on the IAR 823 and how it took an inordinate amount of balance weights to get it in the "acceptable" range.

After reviewing the prop log when entering the balance work I realized it was 5 years since the last overhaul so I took Hartzell's recommendation on calendar time and had it overhauled by R & D Propeller Service in Pearland, TX. During the teardown and inspection they found the hub clamps were mis-matched (per Hartzell they should be matched sets by serial number) from the last overhaul, so the total cost was a bit higher than the average to include "matched" replacement clamps.

I'm scheduling another dynamic prop balance this week and we'll see if the "matched" clamps made a difference.

It looks prettier, anyway. :)

Attachments

• P1230023.JPG
    P1230023.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1230028.JPG
    P1230028.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Steve said:
A few weeks ago I posted about getting the prop dynamically balanced on the IAR 823 and how it took an inordinate amount of balance weights to get it in the "acceptable" range.

It looks prettier, anyway. :)

Boy, doesn't it though?! I want to go for a ride!!

I met somebody (friend of my AA 777 pilot friend) who flies for AA and who owns a Yak. Offered me a ride when he gets it here from Arkansas, where he lived before moving here to Texas. Uh.... YEAH!!! Can't wait!

Well, it turns out my mechanic has the gear to do prop balancing so this morning we ran the newly overhauled prop thru the analyzer.

Come to find out we only needed to add one half-thickness washer (about 0.5 grams) to pull it down to .04 ips from an initial .09 ips. which is mo' better than the pre-overhaul situation that required 46 grams to achieve .14 ips from an initial .78 ips.

I have to believe the mismatched clamps were the culprits, and the results of the post-overhaul vibration analysis vindicated the expense of the prop overhaul by a reputable shop. The reduction in overall vibration is noticeable and I expect the engine mounts and instrument panel will benefit from the change. Also, the prop response to rpm adjustments is much more "lively", less time to change as displayed on the tach, which I attribute less binding of the prop mechanism.

To celebrate I took the plane out for a 2 hour round robin x-c this afternoon just to make sure the blades were on tight. :)

Show up at Gaston's and it can happen. ;)

I'm thinking about taking the plane to Hondo for the SW Regional EAA Fly-In in May. Maybe we could hook up there.

I looked at Yaks before deciding on the IAR. Yaks are becoming collector's items and the price is rising faster than I can keep up with. Hopefully the same will happen with IARs. :D

Troy Whistman said:
Boy, doesn't it though?! I want to go for a ride!!

I met somebody (friend of my AA 777 pilot friend) who flies for AA and who owns a Yak. Offered me a ride when he gets it here from Arkansas, where he lived before moving here to Texas. Uh.... YEAH!!! Can't wait!

Steve said:
To celebrate I took the plane out for a 2 hour round robin x-c this afternoon just to make sure the blades were on tight. :)
But of course. And to make sure the various airports were still where you'd left them last.

I'm glad everything's working now, Steve.

Back