The prop is always hot - caviot.

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
While the thread about mags accidentally catching while turned off had some great advice in it, there is one caviot. Please don't scold your pilot for pulling the prop through on his turbo-prop. While I appreciate that you're looking out for my safety, it doesn't matter how hard I pull on that prop, it isn't going to start (I promise you the mags won't catch)! As much as I enjoy being told I'm a bad airman for five minutes before I go fly, I'm actually supposed to pull the prop through for my pre/post flight. Thanks for the public chastizing, though. /rant

While the thread about mags accidentally catching while turned off had some great advice in it, there is one caviot. Please don't scold your pilot for pulling the prop through on his turbo-prop. While I appreciate that you're looking out for my safety, it doesn't matter how hard I pull on that prop, it isn't going to start (I promise you the mags won't catch)! As much as I enjoy being told I'm a bad airman for five minutes before I go fly, I'm actually supposed to pull the prop through for my pre/post flight. Thanks for the public chastizing, though. /rant

:rolleyes:

I'd never scold you for that, but I have to take exception to "caviot."

You wanna use a $5 word, you need to spell it right. :D

It's "caveat"... whatsa matter, you don't know Latin? :D

???? So where was the scolding ???? I think that most of us understand that a turbine engine is not a piston engine.

What, you mean you didn't know that some passenger who read on Wikipedia about how aircraft engines run knows more than you do about your aircraft?! ;)

Look 'em square in the eye and spin it harder! Like you're on Wheel of Fortune or something... :D

:rolleyes:

I'd never scold you for that, but I have to take exception to "caviot."

You wanna use a $5 word, you need to spell it right. :D

It's "caveat"... whatsa matter, you don't know Latin? :D

Yes, yes, I know. I caught it as soon as I hit submit. I had it close (but still not right), then my spell check got a hold of it and really made a hash of things. That, and I spell at about a third grade level. I'll be the first to admit it.

???? So where was the scolding ???? I think that most of us understand that a turbine engine is not a piston engine.

Psst... I think he means the passengers.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was speaking ill of that thread. This was something that happened to me (again) today, which I found funny having just read the thread here.

What, you mean you didn't know that some passenger who read on Wikipedia about how aircraft engines run knows more than you do about your aircraft?! ;)

Apparently. If only I had thought of Wikipedia, would'a made ground school SO much easier.

Look 'em square in the eye and spin it harder! Like you're on Wheel of Fortune or something... :D

I like that! I usually just say something about the last flight was really long, so the rubber bands are almost unwound. Some people don't find that as funny as I do.

That's got to be so annoying. I really don't like people - especially those frequent flier types - who think they understand aviation just because they fly a lot or listen to Channel 9 on United (those are the worst).

Next time, just tell him to get off your airplane if he knows better.

-Felix

So back to the issue at hand. It freeking cold, (0*F to 20*F like most of this winter) I am trying to start 71D...keys out, mags off and confirmed off by 2 people, throttle out all the way, mixture on cut-off, chocks and brakes on, plane still tied down IF the ropes are there. Preheating the engine...now: with all those precautionary things in place, and yes, at that point I do not know if the prop is hot due to a hot lead, bad mag, etc. NO PULL THROUGH?

Next time, just tell him to get off your airplane if he knows better.

Yeah, like that's a productive idea that wouldn't have any repercussions from upper management. :rolleyes:

I'd pull it through if I thought it would help. I'd just pull it through in such a manner that if it fires, I wouldn't be struck by it. Why the open throttle??

See, next time, approach the passenger in question and move him to the rearmost seat (weight and balance issues), and fly with your feet, not your hands. And by fly with your feet, I mean listen to some Winston Marsallis jazz and get your feet MOVING :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers,

-Andrew

See, next time, approach the passenger in question and move him to the rearmost seat (weight and balance issues), and fly with your feet, not your hands. And by fly with your feet, I mean listen to some Winston Marsallis jazz and get your feet MOVING :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers,

-Andrew

:rofl: Awesome! Though I'd hate to see what the flight attendants would have to clean up after doing that!

Cheers,

-Andrew
Please don't. My last airline flight involved the lady next to me throwing up all over the place. She then just sat there with about 10" of puke hanging from her mouth until a flight attendant actually WIPED it off for her. I was rather annoyed. You could at least grab the damn bag out of the seatback if you think you might puke.

Back