The "PROP GUARD" is back..

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
My prop was constantly losing the paint on the leading edge, and doing a touch up with epoxy paint was a real problem.

I started using the Prop Guard tape on the leading edge of my prop and my problems ended with my paint wearing off and the metal corrosion stopped.

I repainted my tail section and decided to repaint my prop while I was at it. The stress of the tape caused the paint to crack in a couple of places after a year, so I pulled off the Prop Guard tape and ordered another roll from Aircraft Spruce... Then I was told, the Prop Guard was not being produced, the company went out of business.

I repainted my prop but no tape. My prop is so bad now I have to repaint it again, but Aircraft Spruce just sent out a email that they are carrying it again, the Prop Guard Company was sold and back in business now.

I ordered two rolls of the three blade tape, but I have only a two blade prop, but I use the extra if I need to cover anything else.

If you have problems with the leading edge of you prop paint wearing off, you might give the Prop Guard a try.

Used the prop tape,didn't seem to make much of a difference overall.

I've used that on my props before and found that while it did a pretty good job of protecting the leading edges it never lasted more than a year. I've got mixed feelings about trying it again, I think the blades would require a lot less cleanup and painting but replacing the guards every year runs about $150 plus a few hours of labor annually.

Back