The pretty screen issue

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
Just like the super market or Facebook we know companies use subtle mental tricks on us. One such area for me are cell phone screens. Some brands have screens that you just want to stare at but I can't figure out why. Does anyone know if there's some attribute about certain display technologies at play?

My new phone (Motorola) doesn't do this to me and I'm glad, but I had to actively fight it with my previous LG phone. Both have great image quality. Only main difference so far is I suspect my new phone has a polarized screen.

I read your question (2nd sent, 1st para) and don't follow.
Can you dumb it down for me?

The OLED Super Retina displays with the rounded borderless screens might be what the OP is about. Upgrading from an older phone, the difference is the display quality is startling at first. Putting the phone in a case that, in effect, puts a border around it, detracts from that just a little IMHO.

Going from the GNS 430/530 to the GTN 650/750 kinda has the same effect. Just like going from the Dynon classic displays to the new HDX screens.

Just like the super market or Facebook we know companies use subtle mental tricks on us. One such area for me are cell phone screens. Some brands have screens that you just want to stare at but I can't figure out why. Does anyone know if there's some attribute about certain display technologies at play?

My new phone (Motorola) doesn't do this to me and I'm glad, but I had to actively fight it with my previous LG phone. Both have great image quality. Only main difference so far is I suspect my new phone has a polarized screen.
Are you talking about the quality of the screen? Or the picture they put on it? If the latter it’s called subliminal advertising. Google it.

What are you talking about?
The inexplicable urge to just look at a certain cell phones. You realize your time looking at that screen is higher than before. You realize you're doing it and don't understand why you're so drawn to it. You actively restrain yourself similar to sweets or junk food.

It's similar to the addictive qualities of the sugar/fat/salt in some foods.

Watch "The Light" Stargate SG-1 - Season 4, episode 18.

The inexplicable urge to just look at a certain cell phones. You realize your time looking at that screen is higher than before. You realize you're doing it and don't understand why you're so drawn to it. You actively restrain yourself similar to sweets or junk food.

Get it over with. Just buy the phone. You know you want to. Then go to McDonalds or the trough of your choice and celebrate with a Burger Meal. Don't pussyfoot around. Supersize.

Now...cluck like a chicken.

tumblr_oiz0t5jd8I1txeruoo1_500.gif

Not something I ever noticed.

Back