The Pipistrel Virus motorglider is awesome!

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
A few months back we got the demo Pipistrel Virus down here in Boerne, TX (near San Antonio). I took a flight in it and did a photo flight and was really impressed with the bird.
Recently I felt like I was getting a bit stagnant in my flying, so the last two days I did some flying in the motorglider with Dave White of SALSA Aviation (He's one of the Pipistrel dealers) towards my commercial glider rating. This was a blast and quite fun, and yesterday I got to solo it!
Warning: This plane could fast become addictive. You can go faster than a Cessna 172 while burning less gas, and if you feel like it, you can shut the engine down for a good while, not to mention it's real soaring capabilities. I'm looking forward to finishing up my requirements as soon as possible...

Flying didn't bother to mention it (they only talked about another dealer) but this is the same bird that was on the cover of Flying Magazine last month or so, and Dave's a great instructor...

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

Ryan

A guy here in alpine has one. I looked it over one day - looks light. Has interesting flaps.

Pipistrel is on the cutting edge of composites in aviation. They just won a cool couple of million in the NASA cafe green airplane challenge.

Nothing better than shutting the motor off, feathering the prop, and looking for thermals. Dave is a great guy too.

Back