The Pilots Library for the iPhone

BostonMerlin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BostonMerlin
I'm proud to announce the introduction of a new aviation related application for the iPhone/iPod Touch named The Pilots Library currently for sale on the Apple iTunes app store.

I spent the past seven months building out the infrastructure and content delivery mechanism to create an aviation library of information for pilots and aviation enthusiasts.

The Pilots Library includes over two hundred categories covering thousands of aviation related topics with definitions, acronyms, stories, images and more. New content is automatically streamed down from our servers to the library on your device. The FARs are on deck for the next release.

If you have a few minutes please take a look at the company site. I'm looking for feedback from the community so please feel free to contact me with any questions, thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks gang,
John

The Pilots Library
www.BondWorks.net

A few screenshots below:

Custom.png

droppedimage.png

droppedImage_2.png

Last edited:
Looks fascinating, John- when (not if) I get my iPhone, it will bear scrutiny.

Sounds good.. if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a line... allso works with the iPod Touch. New content is being added weekly... if not daily. The next update to The Pilots Library is just about ready. Additional performance tweaks, content notifications and the 2009 FARs will be included. Lots more coming down the pike... (AD's, news, AIM etc..)

John

Let me know when the FAR and AIM are included...that's when it becomes interesting to me.

Let me know when the FAR and AIM are included...that's when it becomes interesting to me.

I'll update this thread when the next release is out.

I don't want to loose a sale but if all you're interested in are the Fars and the Aim you might want to search the AppStore as there is at least one app devoted to providing the Fars and another for the Aim. These apps are devoted to doing one thing respectfully. The Pilots Library was built to do much more. When the time comes make sure to check them all out first.. again.. if the Far/Aim is your top priority as each app will provide different ways of getting at that data.

Happy flying!
John

I did search the App Store...and your application looks promising for all of the other stuff that it delivers - but the FARs and AIM are the pieces I reference most often. That's why I'm holding off on buying anything until I get a look at yours.

I did search the App Store...and your application looks promising for all of the other stuff that it delivers - but the FARs and AIM are the pieces I reference most often. That's why I'm holding off on buying anything until I get a look at yours.

Sounds good Jay. I'll keep you posted!
John

John,

Cool! Is the update containing the FAR/AIM going to be a free update from the current version? And are we talking days, weeks, or months before we see it?

Any thoughts of putting things like the A/FD, approach plates, etc. into an app? It looks like you're developing a technology to do more than just this particular app. Very promising, with lots of applications, so to speak. ;)

Thanks!

Does the library include aircraft specs or just a general description? For instance, if I want to know the speed and useful load of a Grumman Tiger compared to a Piper Archer, can I get this info with your product?

If specs are included, how many aircraft are in the database?

tks
Ljh

John,

Cool! Is the update containing the FAR/AIM going to be a free update from the current version? And are we talking days, weeks, or months before we see it?

Any thoughts of putting things like the A/FD, approach plates, etc. into an app? It looks like you're developing a technology to do more than just this particular app. Very promising, with lots of applications, so to speak. ;)

Thanks!

Hi Multi, yes, the FARs update is part of the package.. no cost.

Additional updates to the FARs (i.e. 2010, 2011 etc..) will not cost anything either. I would only ever charge for the FARs if the FAA charged access to the data. Today that data is free from their website but takes an ungodly amount of time to build parsing routines that'll "screen-scrape" that data and format it for The Pilots Library... it's a mess.

I hope to get the next update out within the next two weeks. This update will include the FARs and other system enhancements. I plan to include the AIM in a future release.. most likely after this next one. You can keep up with what i'm doing by subscribing to my blog.

A/FD, approach plates.. i'll keep them in mind. The system was built to handle these types of things I just need to wait and see where the community wants this application to go. I know there are a few apps already on the store that offer this data and look very nice.

Thanks for the feedback.. and please write up review on the app store if you have the time!

John

Does the library include aircraft specs or just a general description? For instance, if I want to know the speed and useful load of a Grumman Tiger compared to a Piper Archer, can I get this info with your product?

If specs are included, how many aircraft are in the database?

tks
Ljh

Depending on the aircraft you'll find a general description, the company history, it's development history, variations of the model, images of the aircraft and their specifications. Some aircraft have very little data while others offer everything there is to know about it. This information is always being changed and improved upon as time permits.

I think we have a few hundred aircraft in there now and it's growing all the time. The thing to keep in mind is that this app lets you add your content including aircraft or update existing with new information.

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit. If not fee free to get in touch. Subscribe to my blog to stay up to date.

Thanks
John

The thing to keep in mind is that this app lets you add your content including aircraft or update existing with new information.
What would be really nifty is if there were an option to submit updates made locally to the source for inclusion in a later revision.

What would be really nifty is if there were an option to submit updates made locally to the source for inclusion in a later revision.

You might like this then... When you add or change content including pictures and comments... Those changes are pushed up to the server and back out to everyone else using the library. Two way Synchronization is built into The Pilots Library today. The "connected" library concept helps to improve the content within the library for everyone using it.

Feel free to check out the applications site for more information.

Thanks, John.
www.BondWorks.net

Last edited:
Hi Multi, yes, the FARs update is part of the package.. no cost.

Glad to hear it! :yes:

I just bought The Pilots Library.

A/FD, approach plates.. i'll keep them in mind. The system was built to handle these types of things I just need to wait and see where the community wants this application to go. I know there are a few apps already on the store that offer this data and look very nice.

Well, there's only one that I know of, and it looks nice in the screen shots, but it costs more than most others, and you know what cheap bastards us pilots can be! :D

Thanks for the feedback.. and please write up review on the app store if you have the time!

Wilco! I need to get a better look at it first. :yes:

I'm rather disappointed that this hasn't been updated at all since I bought it. Still no FAR's or AIM. :frown2:

Back