The Perfect GA Vacation

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
As those of you who own your own small business know, time off is more precious than gold. Last Friday Mary and I saw we were sold out for the weekend, followed by a few days in the doldrums, talked to our staff -- and headed out the door for our first weekend off since Oshkosh.

We chose to travel by aeroplane, of course. It's the only way to cover the vast Texas distances, and more importantly it's the only way we can get back quickly in the event of an emergency.

So, we had Sat/Sun/Mon, back Tuesday by 5 PM. Where to go?

After checking the weather, Saturday we flew up to Fredericksburg, for a night at the Hangar Hotel -- our only competitor in the aviation-themed hotel biz. After the experience we had there in '07, we figured we owed them another shot, and were rewarded with a completely marvelous stay. It's a terrific facility -- just be sure to go on a weekend, and leave the kids home.

Sunday, we woke up like aviation gypsies -- the sun was shining, as we supped our coffee on the veranda -- where do you want to go? How about South Padre Island? It's only 2.2 hours South.

Why not? We have an airplane! Let's go!

And, 2.2 hours later we landed in Brownsville, in the early afternoon with plenty of time ahead of us. We rented a car and drove across the bridge to the island (that island inexplicably has no airport on it, which seems just bizarre).

We found a wonderful, locally owned non-chain hotel called The Palms, and had a terrific stay, watching the Super Bowl at a seaside bar accompanied by the sounds of the surf.

Refreshed, we woke up this morning with the same delicious question: What to do? We explored South Padre a bit (nice, but too plastic and built up for our tastes), did some shopping in Port Isabel (where real mom & pop stores sell real souvenirs -- not the same Chinese junk you can get in every beach "resort" from Myrtle Beach to Waikiki), and then decided to fly up the island chain back to our home 'drome on Mustang Island, where we took the ferry off the island over to Rockport, for one last night at a nice hotel called the Lighthouse Inn.

Which is where I am right now. Total flight time: 4.7 hours. Could this trip have been accomplished by any other means of travel? No way!

Ya gotta love GA! :D

Sounds like a great time. Oh yes, my wife and kids love GA too. The older our children get, the more they realize how unique it is to fly. Fly 2-3 miles above the ground in a plane that we all built in our garage in two years.

Sounds like a great time. Oh yes, my wife and kids love GA too. The older our children get, the more they realize how unique it is to fly. Fly 2-3 miles above the ground in a plane that we all built in our garage in two years.

Yeah, we flew hundreds of flights with the kids in the backseat, to places they could never have otherwise seen. It's a wonderful childhood for the kids.

Now, sniff, it's usually just Mary and me. Our son lives in Iowa, and our daughter is attending A&M while she works for us -- which means when we're gone she is stuck working.

It's funny what you miss. I'd give anything to strap my kids into booster seats in the back seat again. At the time, it seemed like a major PIA. :D

Yeah, we flew hundreds of flights with the kids in the backseat, to places they could never have otherwise seen. It's a wonderful childhood for the kids.

Now, sniff, it's usually just Mary and me. Our son lives in Iowa, and our daughter is attending A&M while she works for us -- which means when we're gone she is stuck working.

It's funny what you miss. I'd give anything to strap my kids into booster seats in the back seat again. At the time, it seemed like a major PIA. :D
Not to worry before you know it you will be back to car seats with the grandkids

So awesome!! It's like a dream

You said it.

Even though I've been flying for 19 years now (how did THAT happen?), I am still amazed and thrilled at what can be accomplished ONLY in a GA airplane.

Why in hell Cirrus or Cessna doesn't do commercials, following a couple like us on a vacation like this, is completely beyond me. They need to show the unwitting public the magic of personal flying.

Sometimes I think the aircraft manufacturers have no idea why people use their products.

Good on ya to take the needed time off. And to have gathered a quality staff that you trust so that you can take the needed time off! No "Hotel Impossible" for you.

Back