The Party's Over at a Texas Jail

K

KennyFlys

Hearing about this story blew my mind. How could such a facility be run? I have a feeling much, much more will come of this, least of all firing of some trusted officials and possible indictments of corruption.

The part that really confuses me is how a new sheriff accomplished immediately what two other agencies should have done a month or two prior. Who's overseeing those charged with the investigation at Texas Rangers and FBI? This concerns me.

Montague County Jail Closed as New Year's Day Opens

Less than eight hours after new Montague County Sheriff Paul Cunningham took the oath of office, the county jail was closed and its nearly 60 inmates transferred to Wise County.

Just after take the oath of office for a new term Thursday morning, District Attorney Jack McGaughey announced the jail closure.

“At 7 a.m. this morning every prisoner was moved to the Wise County Jail on an emergency agreement between the two county sheriff and two county judges. It was done at the request of county law enforcement and this office, we all agree it needed to be done. It was a matter of concern over security issues that arose when the FBI came to the jail a few weeks ago,” explained the DA.

Sheriff Paul Cunningham said he and his staff consulted with the Texas Jail Commission and other sheriff’s offices in the area, and everyone agree closure was the best option.

“We all thought with the circumstances as they are, the safety and well being of the prisoners would be better served by getting them out. We also need to make some repairs and do work to get the jail back up the par,” said the sheriff.

This is another step in the ongoing investigation into allegations of inmate abuse at the jail, which possibly involve drug trafficking and sexual favors within the department. On Dec. 12, FBI officials removed five prisoners from the jail in connection with an investigation in the Montague County Sheriff’s Office and Jail.
Here's another link with video:
New sheriff closes Montague County Jail

Paul Cunningham was my college roommate; but probably not the same hombre up here in Boston.

HR

(But if the sheriff is a devotee of the George Beverly Shea religious recordings, might be the same fella'). And then, Paul Cunningham is a staff photographer for our Brunswick Times Record. Those Irishmen(Scotsmen??) are everywhere!

Last edited:
Back