The pain - Thermals

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I know Thermals are the main source of turbulence. Glider pilos can easily pick them out and go into them but how do they do this? I don't think I'm the only one that does not enjoy turbulence so how do you avoid it other than climbing above the clouds?

glider pilots think of turbulence as merely bumpy fuel. :D

You can avoid it by avoiding the places where lift develops - parking lots, certain farm fields, towns, large building complexes, etc. Well, you can minimize getting into turb. I don't think you can avoid it completely... I know I've never been able to, short of getting on top of the cu/haze layer. :)

I know Thermals are the main source of turbulence. Glider pilos can easily pick them out and go into them but how do they do this? I don't think I'm the only one that does not enjoy turbulence so how do you avoid it other than climbing above the clouds?

Turbulence has many sources. Around here the wind shears from flow over the mountains and hills are a major factor.

As for thermals, look for heat radiation areas. Parking lots are good sources along with plowed fields. Conversely, a nice green field can be some of the smoooooothest air around on an otherwise bumpy day.

Turbulence has many sources. Around here the wind shears from flow over the mountains and hills are a major factor.

As for thermals, look for heat radiation areas. Parking lots are good sources along with plowed fields. Conversely, a nice green field can be some of the smoooooothest air around on an otherwise bumpy day.

Well in New Jersey there aren't many mountains so that isn't a major problem

When you have to retrim and you start going faster you are in an updraft.

Dan

They're uncomfortable even in a more heavily wing loaded a/c like the Seneca II. You either don't fly or you climb above them. I climb at Vy+10 to spend LITTLE time in them.

I would not try to avoid all turbulence because then when you do get some unavoidable stuff the pax really don't like it. If they get used to it over the years, its no biggie for anyone.

a simple choice is to fly early or late in the day or at night

sailplane pilots look to soaring birds, cloud bases, ridges or their variometers to find rising air

I think doing some glider flying will show you how to avoid thermals... just go looking for them in a plane that depends on them, and you won't find any. :D

I've noticed that when you fly over rivers a lot of times you get a nice bump. I fly up the Des Moines river quite often, and I usually stay on one side or the other. The second thing is those little wispy clouds that hang around at about a thousand feet agl that you can see through. If you bust them, you will get a shudder type bounce. If you fly below them, you will get a nice bump. Those are two things that I either avoid, or not, depending on how I feel at the moment.

Last edited:
I've noticed that when you fly over rivers sometimes you get a nice bump. I fly up the Des Moines river quite often, and I usually stay on one side or the other. The second thing is those little wispy clouds that hang around at about a thousand feet agl that you can see through. If you bust them, you will get a shudder type bounce. Those are two things that I either avoid, or not, depending on how I feel at the moment.

The ILS 18 approach to KMGW middle marker is located very close to the coal-fired power plant. When on the localizer, you have the needle, the aural tone, the light, and the Big BUMP when you fly over the cooling towers.

Over time people can develop increased tolereance for the bumps.

the manuevering required to avoid thermals would probably make you throw up faster than just flying through them. on the climb, i usually try to slow down in the updraft and speed up in the sink to maximize altitude, just like I do in my glider. In airplanes if carrying passengers, especially paying passengers, I try to get above the haze or cloud layer into smooth and cool air.

I do find that the thermals are a lot smoother when you have 4 lb/square foot wing loading and are going 45 mph...:)

Not me. :no: I hate every minute of it. I will do whatever I can to avoid any turbulence especially during training. If I'm doing slow flight under the hood with a student I will typically find a river or lake to maneuver over or I might climb to 8,500 feet to stay above the turbulent mixed layer that exists near the surface.

well, some develop more tolerance than others. I definitely don't
like the bumps and can't fly for long when it's bumpy without
getting tired.

Back