The Other Way of Stopping

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Yet more incompetent pros. Even an upstart amateur hobbyist pilot like me keeps sterile cockpit rules on takeoff and landing.

I remember one time, very early in my training, I was at position and hold waiting for clearance. My then-CFI was next to me, of course.

When we got clearance I started to push forward the throttle and casually said to the CFI, "By the way, [name of mutual friend] says hello."

"My airplane," the CFI answered, and completed the takeoff. The rest of that flight I was a passenger.

After we landed, my ground instruction consisted of the importance of maintaining a sterile cockpit during critical stages of the flight.

-Rich

I don't see the issue with the talking. The talking about cars had nothing to do with missing the flap setting.

They go through the checklist and complete it at 15:55:17
at 16:07:32 they are finally told to taxi

So for 0:12:15 they have time to kill - so they talk about cars.

From 16:08:38 to 16:09:13 they go through the taxi checklist - and this is where the mistake is made. HOT-1 calls flaps 20, HOT-2 states flaps 8 twice, and is then 'confirmed' by HOT-1 at 16:09:12.

It appears they resume chatting during taxi from 16:09:19 to 16:11:45

At 16:11:47 the begin the takeoff checklist, and there is no more non-procedure chatter. But you all knew that from reading through the entire transcript didn't you?

I understand that if they had just ignored the warnings and completed the takeoff, all would have been well. :( Also didn't they abort > V1?
The after-crash chatter probably cooked their goose.

None of us are immune.

Last edited:
I understand that if they had just ignored the warnings and completed the takeoff, all would have been well. :(
Also, the after-crash chatter cooked their goose.

None of us are immune.

I was wondering that too. With only 30 pax on board, I can't imagine them being heavy and the difference of flaps 8 and flaps 20 making a difference.

I was wondering that too. With only 30 pax on board, I can't imagine them being heavy and the difference of flaps 8 and flaps 20 making a difference.

The PIC letting the computer make decisions for them? Naw, we couldn't be that brainwashed into always listening to what the computer says since it couldn't possibly be wrong...

"My airplane," the CFI answered, and completed the takeoff. The rest of that flight I was a passenger.

After we landed, my ground instruction consisted of the importance of maintaining a sterile cockpit during critical stages of the flight.
So he flew around and what? Personally I'm not fond of those kinds of stunts in the name of teaching someone a lesson.

I don't see the issue with the talking. The talking about cars had nothing to do with missing the flap setting.

They go through the checklist and complete it at 15:55:17
at 16:07:32 they are finally told to taxi

So for 0:12:15 they have time to kill - so they talk about cars.

From 16:08:38 to 16:09:13 they go through the taxi checklist - and this is where the mistake is made. HOT-1 calls flaps 20, HOT-2 states flaps 8 twice, and is then 'confirmed' by HOT-1 at 16:09:12.

It appears they resume chatting during taxi from 16:09:19 to 16:11:45

At 16:11:47 the begin the takeoff checklist, and there is no more non-procedure chatter. But you all knew that from reading through the entire transcript didn't you?

That's pretty much my take. The FO missed the flaps call. Seemed like when the read the final takeoff summary info he said flaps 8 again, along with takeoff weight and some other numbers. Don't know if the Cap is supposed to crosscheck it. At any rate, it doesn't seem like a horrible violation of sterile cockpit to me.

So he flew around and what? Personally I'm not fond of those kinds of stunts in the name of teaching someone a lesson.

I'm late to respond, but agree -- I could understand if he said, "My airplane," then announced to tower that you were not ready or some such.

But burning hobbes or tach on my dime? Ahhh... how about no.

I wasn't too fond of it, either. I fired him shortly thereafter.

He flew for about 15-20 minutes and showed me various landmarks. I still didn't like his attitude, however. I've never found it necessary to humiliate someone in order to teach them.

-Rich

Back