The Other Shoe (Hudson River Recommendation)

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
WSJ said:
WASHINGTON -- Federal safety officials on Thursday called for new flight rules in the crowded airspace over Manhattan, less than three weeks after a small plane and a sightseeing helicopter collided, killing nine people.

Hersman urged the FAA to go beyond the voluntary procedures ..... and establish a "special flight rules area,".....

.... Ms. Hersman also urged the FAA to require pilots to receive training on the procedures before flying there. Such steps have been taken to secure the airspace over Washington, D.C

The other shoe has not yet dropped, but it seems to be hanging by an unraveling thread.

Link - registration may be required

The NTSB is a bunch of morons.

200 aircraft per day....since 1990, only 11 reports filed.

200 * 365 * 18-1/2 years = 1,350,050 operations and only 11 incidents. That's a pretty damn good success rate.

And the NTSB report said that they haven't found any accidents in 30 years up until this one. One fatal accident per 2,190,00 operations, and they want to get more restrictive? There aren't enough expletives to string together to show my disdain for these pinheaded retards at the NTSB.

When can we start the Revolution?

They sure as heck won't listen to us. Heck, we're just a bunch of pilots.

The FAA ignores most NTSB recommendations, let's hope they continue the "track record" in the instant case.

There aren't enough expletives to string together to show my disdain for these pinheaded retards at the NTSB.

And people wonder why there are more than 1000 NTSB suggestions that have not been acted on by the FAA.

200 * 365 * 18-1/2 years = 1,350,050 operations and only 11 incidents. That's a pretty damn good success rate.

And the NTSB report said that they haven't found any accidents in 30 years up until this one. One fatal accident per 2,190,00 operations, and they want to get more restrictive? There aren't enough expletives to string together to show my disdain for these pinheaded retards at the NTSB.

You should write all that to your Congressmen. Well, all but the revolution part, maybe.

OK, I've not seen anything in writing from the FAA, but THEIR (FAA) proposed rule changes seem reasonable.
http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/faa-announces-plan-to-enhance-safety-for-new-york-airspace

One thing I'm not sure I understand.

From 1300-2000 is Class B where folks can get normal class B service. It seems to imply that there will be additional resources there so folks CAN get the bravo instead of "remain clear".
From 1000-1300 mandatory use of a common frequency. Below 1000 it appears to me that you may monitor this frequency but are not required to use it, which would still permit NORDO airplanes to enjoy the corridor. This is the part I'm not sure about. Since the river is inside the Mode C veil, airplanes flying the river need to have a transponder (or a waiver) anyway, don't they?

Anyway, it looks to me like you've got three options and corresponding risk levels:
Below 1000, there may be people not talking. -See and avoid
1000-1300, you should be getting folks announcing their position - See, hear, and avoid
1300-2000, class B separation.

It has nothing to do with the ability or training of the pilots who use that airspace. What is important is the public perception of the NTSB and the FAA.

If there was never a fatal wreck in that area, if it had a 100% safety record, then one happened, you have to expect a knee jerk, over reaction, from the politicians and the bureaucrats.

They have to do something, how would it look if another fatality took place in that same area?

Look what took place after 911, they shut the whole system down. Then when they let it wind up again, they started strip searching passengers. They plowed through luggage looking for valuab....er...contraband and other dangerous things like bottled water.

You can always count on our government to protect us from ourselves, especially if it makes the six o'clock news. It is what we want, it is what we voted for.

John

Last edited:
Well, the NPRM is out, comments due by the 16th of October.

It's attached. Essentially it sets a level floor to the class B over the Hudson to 1300, creates an SFRA that covers the East River and Hudson areas, and within that SFRA:

Transition traffic is 1000-1300 MSL (space below 1000 essentially reserved for helos operating to/from heliports and "local operations"). Not sure if "going down and coming back with a turn around the lady" is a "local operation" to be done below 1000. - I'll ask.

Turn on your lights.
Hug the west shore when heading south, east shore when heading north.
Self announce and monitor the appropriate frequency.
140 knots or less
Have the chart on board.

There's no mention of a required course to use the airspace. East River notam is now Codified in the SFRA.

Attachments

• FAA-2009-0837-0002.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well, they did it quickly, but at least they didn't do it by NOTAM or emergency rulemaking like the East River and some of the security stuff.

Back