The OSH excitement is building!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Right now, all over the country, thousands of pilots are poring over WAC maps and sectionals, loading flight plans and scouring Airnav for cheap gas on the way to The Big One. I'm receiving daily -- even hourly -- emails from pilots all over the country, asking advice, checking availability, wondering about weather.

We're all a-twitter around here, natch. The beer has been ordered (Priority #1, of course -- two different local mircro brews, a lager and an outstanding hefeweizen) for the Pool Party, the food is in the works, and the hotel will be stuffed to the cowl flaps with pilots flying in from all over the country -- the farthest (thus far) being from Sacramento, CA! (It's hard to get much further away, although our record for distance is actually New Zealand -- two Kiwis flew Quantas to CA, picked up a couple of LongEZs, and flew in to the pool party back in 2005.)

I've got the A/C working again in the courtesy van -- just in time for the coldest July, ever (thank you, Algore) -- our daughter has the pool area looking spic & span, and we've opened up a bunch of rooms in our dorm building, to be used as over-flow if we need 'em. And it looks like we will, if the weather holds.

And, of course, we've still got to pack Atlas for our week in the North 40. We've got all of our packing lists saved on our computers, so we don't forget anything. That chore will start in earnest on Wednesday, cuz we'll need to have the big guy completely packed and ready to go by Thursday, since we won't have a minute to ourselves once the arrivals start on Friday.

This will be our 27th consecutive Oshkosh fly-in (17 driving/riding, 10 flying) and -- God help me -- I'm just like a little kid waiting for Christmas! Half of me wants it to be here NOW, dammit, while the other half wants it to never come, because then it will then be over all-too quickly.

For you guys who are coming, we can't wait to see you! For you guys who are missing OSH this year, start making plans for 2010. Something as special as OSH simply can't go on forever -- things like this never do -- so try not to miss it next year!

I've already noted "neater" planes than usual flying over the house recently... I flew over OSH the other day and the spots are painted on the runways, the buildings are all up, and the planes are already arriving. :yes:

We had a TBM Avenger stop in for fuel at Clow yesterday. (Of course, he'd been on display at the Cavalcade last month, too). Leslie and I have been going crazy getting things ready for our firs camping experience. The tent is on order, and we're praying it gets here in enough time to set it up and seal the seams before we go! If there's something wrong with it, I guess we'll have to implement Plan B.

God help me -- I'm just like a little kid waiting for Christmas! Half of me wants it to be here NOW, dammit, while the other half wants it to never come, because then it will then be over all-too quickly.

I'm with you, Jay. I've got a buddy who's going to be in for business this Thursday, and we're going to fly up to OSH Thursday evening just to wet my whistle for next week. I won't be flying up during AirVenture (no plane available for a full day) but I'll be driving up at least 3-4 days next week.

The NOTAM doesn't go into effect until 0600 local on Friday, so hopefully we'll be able to get FF on the way up, since I assume traffic will be starting to pick up even on Thursday.

CAUTION TO ANYONE FLYING NEAR MILWAUKEE ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, 7/25 - 7/26:

I shot a couple of approaches at Manitowoc on Saturday (actual IMC - woo hoo!), and saw these TFRs in my briefing:

TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
FDC 9/9196 ZAU WI.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION. MILWAUKEE, WI.
VETERANS PARK, MILWAUKEE, WI. DUE TO HIGH PERFORMANCE AERIAL
DEMONSTRATIONS DURING THE MILWAUKEE AIR AND WATER SHOW VETERANS
PARK NIGHT SHOW, EFFECTIVE 0907252300 UTC UNTIL 0907260230 UTC.
PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.145, MANAGEMENT OF AIRCRAFT
OPERATIONS IN THE VICINITY OF AERIAL DEMONSTRATIONS AND MAJOR
SPORTING EVENTS, AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 5 NMR
OF 430159N/0875320W OR THE BADGER /BAE/ VORTAC 104 DEGREE RADIAL
AT 18.1 NM, AT AND BELOW 16000 FT MSL UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC.
RUDY MALNATI, PHONE 312-315-0447, IS THE POINT OF CONTACT. THE
MILWAUKEE /MKE/ ATCT, PHONE 414-489-6502, IS THE COORDINATION
FACILITY.

FDC 9/9285 ZAU WI.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION. MILWAUKEE, WI.
BRADFORD BEACH, MILWAUKEE, WI. DUE TO HIGH PERFORMANCE AERIAL
DEMONSTRATIONS DURING THE MILWAUKEE AIR AND WATER SHOW 2009,
EFFECTIVE 0907231500 UTC UNTIL 0907232100 UTC,
0907241400 UTC UNTIL 0907242200 UTC,
0907251400 UTC UNTIL 0907252200 UTC, AND
0907261400 UTC UNTIL 0907262200 UTC.
PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.145, MANAGEMENT OF AIRCRAFT
OPERATIONS IN THE VICINITY OF AERIAL DEMONSTRATIONS AND MAJOR
SPORTING EVENTS, AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 5 NMR
OF 430341N/0875154W OR THE BADGER /BAE/ VORTAC 098 DEGREE RADIAL
AT 18.7 NM, AT AND BELOW 16000 FT MSL UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC.
RUDY MALNATI, PHONE 312-315-0447, IS THE POINT OF CONTACT. THE
MILWAUKEE /MKE/ ATCT, PHONE 414-489-6502, IS THE COORDINATION
FACILITY.

Number one, I was a little ticked because I didn't even know Milwaukee was having an airshow - this is not an annual event, and is probably the least advertised airshow I have ever seen.

Number two, as a guy who loves airshows, it seems poorly timed with the air traffice migration to AirVenture.

Here's the website: http://www.milwaukeeairshow.com/

So, if you are coming north to KOSH on Saturday or Sunday, be sure to follow the NOTAM and stay west of the Badger VORTAC (BAE).

RE: The OSH excitement is building...

YES IT IS... I'm packed, got a new toothbrush, clean shorts, beer, tent, & a big ole water bottle! Bring it on!

I did my test fitting of gear into the Miata today, and I have my EAA shirt that says "I'm headed for Oshkosh.... are you?" ready for wear.

Just completed the condition inspection, repacked the wheel bearings, replaced the brake pads, greased & torqued the prop bolts, adjusted trim tab travel, got the VFR transponder cert, the plane is ready!

Just don't forget to read, and comply with the OSH NOTAM!

This year the FAA will fine you $250 on the spot if you do not have a printed NOTAM in the plane where the pilot can reach it. $500 fine of you violate the NOTAM. I have heard they will be ramp checking this year for the 1st time.

Last edited:
Number two, as a guy who loves airshows, it seems poorly timed with the air traffice migration to AirVenture.

For the migrators, at least - For the performers, it's perfect. Less $$$ spent to get there. I bet the Milwaukee Airshow (which I've never heard of except for TFR warnings either) got a good deal on some great performers... And said performers got to make some $$$ on their way to OSH (for which they are not paid).

We should probably all chip in for some banner towers to fly around south of the TFR towing a banner that says "WARNING AIRSHOW TFR LAND AT KRAC AND CHECK NOTAMS" or something. I predict many busts. :(

This year the FAA will fine you $250 on the spot if you do not have a printed NOTAM in the plane where the pilot can reach it. $500 fine of you violate the NOTAM. I have heard they will be ramp checking this year for the 1st time.

There is still an administrative process that has to take place for a violation. "$250 on the spot" violation cannot happen without due process. Even the Notam states Enforcement actions may be taken following ATC and FSDO investigations.

Just completed the condition inspection, repacked the wheel bearings, replaced the brake pads, greased & torqued the prop bolts, adjusted trim tab travel, got the VFR transponder cert, the plane is ready!

Just don't forget to read, and comply with the OSH NOTAM!

Good! A few violations should go a LONG ways toward keeping the arrogant doofusses (doofi?) who enter the world's busiest airspace without consulting the instruction book on the ground -- where they belong.

I just read the NOTAM. I'm not even going and I was getting nervous thinking of all the airplanes in such a small piece of sky. Good luck to everyone and fly safe!

Good! A few violations should go a LONG ways toward keeping the arrogant doofusses (doofi?) who enter the world's busiest airspace without consulting the instruction book on the ground -- where they belong.
+1 !!

There is still an administrative process that has to take place for a violation. "$250 on the spot" violation cannot happen without due process. Even the Notam states Enforcement actions may be taken following ATC and FSDO investigations.

As I understand it, the deal is "volunteer" to pay $250 on the spot if you do not have the NOTAM or go through the administrative process and be fined $1,100 and loose your license for 6 months. The choice is yours. :eek:

I guess the point is; get the NOTAM, read the NOTAM, understand the NOTAM, comply with the NOTAM.

I guess the point is; get the NOTAM, read the NOTAM, understand the NOTAM, comply with the NOTAM.

How long until some dimbulb gets going too slow and has a stall-spin accident while trying to read the NOTAM?

Trapper John

Geico, you have a reference for this "pay me $250 instead of a formal violation" scheme?

Sounds suspiciously like highway stops in the 50s - "Son, you were doing 60 in a 35, and that's a $300.00 fine. But if you write a check to the Policemen's Charity Ball, for $200, we can forget the whole thing."

Thanks for the Milwaukee NOTAM, good to know.

As I understand it, the deal is "volunteer" to pay $250 on the spot if you do not have the NOTAM or go through the administrative process and be fined $1,100 and loose your license for 6 months. The choice is yours. :eek:

Gee, do they take MasterCard?Visa? Discover? Diners Club? PayPal?:rofl:

Sorry, there is no truth to this. This is just a "hangar flying" rumor gone wild.:frown2:

Geico, you have a reference for this "pay me $250 instead of a formal violation" scheme?

Sounds suspiciously like highway stops in the 50s - "Son, you were doing 60 in a 35, and that's a $300.00 fine. But if you write a check to the Policemen's Charity Ball, for $200, we can forget the whole thing."

too bad it's not still that way.

I don't fly to OSH anymore. Last time I got cutoff by a guy in a Baron who didn't have the notam. He descended right on top of me all the while yaking on the freq with the controller that he had a spot at Basler. One of the scariest moments of my life. I dind't have to give him a piece of my mind; the FAA was doing that at the pumps for me.

Now I go to FLD. I say "Fine 'em, Hang 'em high".

Just washed and waxed the Free Bird. Still gotta pack.

I washed the Baron today (finally got the Gaston's mud off the tail and belly) and then decided to pay one of the FBO's line crew to clean the gunk off the underside. I'm supposed to be flying in a "Showcase" formation of four Barons and I just know I'd be getting comments about how dirty the underside was. Hopefully it won't get too bad by next Monday.

I don't fly to OSH anymore. Last time I got cutoff by a guy in a Baron who didn't have the notam. He descended right on top of me all the while yaking on the freq with the controller that he had a spot at Basler. One of the scariest moments of my life. I dind't have to give him a piece of my mind; the FAA was doing that at the pumps for me.

Now I go to FLD. I say "Fine 'em, Hang 'em high".

Interesting. My CFII (9,000 hr, former MD-80 Capt.) flew to OSH once, and won't do it again. He said he was essentially formation flying (with people who can't tell what 1/2 mile in trail means) with people he doesn't know. I can respect that.

Interesting. My CFII (9,000 hr, former MD-80 Capt.) flew to OSH once, and won't do it again. He said he was essentially formation flying (with people who can't tell what 1/2 mile in trail means) with people he doesn't know. I can respect that.

I've flown into OSH since 1999. (I drove/rode in 17 years before that.) I've seen a lot of airplanes in the airspace over RIPON, Rush Lake, and OSH -- but I've never seen anything that would make me reconsider flying into the world's biggest gathering of pilots. The FISK approach is simplicity itself, and works flawlessly 99% of the time.

I'm eternally amazed at the number of pilots that will fly thousands of miles, often over the most inhospitable terrain on earth, to attend Airventure -- only to stop 30 miles short at Fond du Lac or Appleton. They then ride a bus (!) to Airventure, negating any advantage of flying in.

To me, that's like riding to Sturgis, parking at Rapid City, and hitch-hiking the rest of the way...

I've flown into OSH since 1999. (I drove/rode in 17 years before that.) I've seen a lot of airplanes in the airspace over RIPON, Rush Lake, and OSH -- but I've never seen anything that would make me reconsider flying into the world's biggest gathering of pilots. The FISK approach is simplicity itself, and works flawlessly 99% of the time.

The first time I flew in was Sunday afternoon the day before the show. Everyone and their brother showed up at Ripon AT THE SAME TIME. No such thing as half a mile in trail. Above, below, right, left. It was INTENSE. I swore never again. But I did it again the next year at a different time and it wasn't bad.

The first time I flew in was Sunday afternoon the day before the show. Everyone and their brother showed up at Ripon AT THE SAME TIME. No such thing as half a mile in trail. Above, below, right, left. It was INTENSE. I swore never again. But I did it again the next year at a different time and it wasn't bad.

We always fly in on Sunday, and try to hit Ripon by noon. It's normally busy, but not crazy-busy, and this arrival time ensures us a pretty good camping spot in the North 40.

Of course, a lot of your fly-in experience will be sheer luck. The airspace can be intensely busy for 15 minutes, and then go back to normal for another 15 minutes, in a completely random and unpredictable way. Also, if weather is (for example) blocking pilots coming in from the East, your FISK approach experience will be pretty mellow.

Ya just take the cards that are dealt, when you fly in to OSH.

I'm gonna be listening, watching, following, watching, circling, watching, following, grinning, watching, following, descending, grinning, watching, listening, rocking, watching, following, rocking, descending, turning, following, listening, rocking, gumping, checking, watching, slowing, flaring, looking, landing, slowing, watching, looking, taxiing, following, parking, drinking, building, drinking, watching, grinning, grinning, partying, sleeping, repeating! :D

Hi! My cousin is staying with me in Chicago this week for the 99s International Conference, and she wants to go to Oshkosh but has no idea how she's going to get there (funds are pretty low after her ticket to get here). Is anyone going from the Chicago area that would be willing to add a passenger for a negotiable sum?

Back