The Omnivore's 100

I have eaten 97/100. I don't think this list is complete... but it's pretty good.

How far have you gone?

Farther than I should have. I got to "#18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes." and started gagging on my glass of Boone's Farm. I'm horrified to see that stuff is still in production. "VeryGoodTaste"? Well, YMMV.

Pass me a Mateus, willya?

:D

I've had 44 of 'em.

I've EATEN in a 3 star Michelin restaurant, does that count?

Whole insects..... does it count if you accidentally ingest one when you have the face shield of your helmet open????

And Carp.........Does it count if your spouse's last name is Karp???? snort giggle guffaw

Farther than I should have. I got to "#18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes." and started gagging on my glass of Boone's Farm. I'm horrified to see that stuff is still in production. "VeryGoodTaste"? Well, YMMV.

Pass me a Mateus, willya?

:D

hehehe

You need to try some cherry wine. a bit on the too sweet side, but not bad.

Boones Farm is pretty hoity toity stuff, ya know.

66 for me, although I checked off "crocodile" in place of alligator, which is not on the list.

Good thing the author prefaces the list with "even some pretty bad food," as I am an adventurous eater but would not consider ingesting a number of things on that list (at least one of which should not even be considered a foodstuff).

Cool Currywurst is on that list! But alas I only scored a 47 :-(

66 for me, although I checked off "crocodile" in place of alligator, which is not on the list.

Good thing the author prefaces the list with "even some pretty bad food," as I am an adventurous eater but would not consider ingesting a number of things on that list (at least one of which should not even be considered a foodstuff).

My guess is your talking about kaolin. It's used as a food stuff, primarily for pregnant women, in Haiti (mixed with equal parts water and vegetable fat). We use an ultra-pure form of kaolin in our production process at my $EMPLOYER, and after reading about the Haitian food crisis this past summer, I tried making the cakes that Haitian women eat. They taste just like they sound, fatty clay.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Had Cashew wine in Belize that was really interesting.

Also lots of other fruit wines

BTW I got 98/100

OK, I'm short on fugu (crossing that off in 3 months), durian (also in 3 months), and a Michelin 3 star (crossing that off next Valentines Day).

What are you short on?

Cheers,

-Andrew

My guess is your talking about kaolin. It's used as a food stuff, primarily for pregnant women, in Haiti (mixed with equal parts water and vegetable fat). We use an ultra-pure form of kaolin in our production process at my $EMPLOYER, and after reading about the Haitian food crisis this past summer, I tried making the cakes that Haitian women eat. They taste just like they sound, fatty clay.
It's also used as food in the US in many parts of the rural South. Kids eat paper and glue. That doesn't make it food, though!

Scored 63. Now there was some stuff I ate in Japan that may be on the list and I just don't know it. :redface:

OK, I'm short on fugu (crossing that off in 3 months), durian (also in 3 months), and a Michelin 3 star (crossing that off next Valentines Day).

What are you short on?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Be careful with the fugu! Or at least put me in your will.
Fugu no problem as long as you are not preparing it yourself. Getting it in a licensed restaurant is not an issue. Also after having it i can say it is way over rated. Tastes like seabass.

BTW the 2 I did not have were the roadkill and the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

The latter is pretty easy... the former requires either intestinal fortitude or knowing someone who has recently killed a delicious meat creature!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Scored 63. Now there was some stuff I ate in Japan that may be on the list and I just don't know it. :redface:
I was going to make some wisecrack about Tennessee, but then I remembered that when I lived in Nashville a state trooper I knew responded to a deer vs. car accident and kept the victim, aka Bambi. That "venison veal" was some of the best eatin' I've ever had, so I guess that counts as roadkill, too. Up my tally by one!

And Carp.........Does it count if your spouse's last name is Karp???? snort giggle guffaw

Only if you ate him! :rofl:

27 for me, but I didn't count crocodile instead of alligator like Ken did. :no:

Seems some of 'em are gross, but some are really good! I love gazpacho. I'd also count on the "really good" part of the list baklava, cheese fondue, non-grape fruit wine (plum wine is probably my favorite), clam chowder in a sourdough bowl, root beer float, gumbo, and smores.

Back