The Official Irony Thread

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
The Muzak at the grocery store this morning featured Karen Carpenter.

How is that ironic?

Which begs a second question. Do people really know what irony/ironic means?

How is that ironic?

"A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

But thanks for the thread derail. ;-)

I admit I had to look her up to understand. I know her music, but not about her problem. Yes ironic.

Jim

How is that ironic? [...] Do people really know what irony/ironic means?
This is more ironic than the OP :D

Nauga,
who drinks diet coke at the pizza buffet

"This nickel alloy appears to be contaminated."

"Yes, it is a bit ironic."

"A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

But thanks for the thread derail. ;-)

Why would I not expect someone who sang Christmas songs to be played at Christmas time?

Or is it because Jesus was a carpenter, and you wouldn't expect a Carpenter to sing about a carpenter? :rolleyes:

Why would I not expect someone who sang Christmas songs to be played at Christmas time?

Or is it because Jesus was a carpenter, and you wouldn't expect a Carpenter to sing about a carpenter? :rolleyes:

Or because she died at 33?

So was the a carpenter or a singer?
And if so what did she build?

Dying in the closet of malnutrition probably qualifies for both irony and juxtaposition all by itself.

Irony? Simple.

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well, isn't this nice."
And isn't it ironic, don't you think

...or a free ride when you've already paid, or the good advice you just didn't take.

All irony.

I'll tell you what's ironic.

A song called ironic listing a bunch of crap that isn't ironic...that's ironic, don't you think?

How is that ironic?

I see what you did there. Ironically misusing "begs" while questioning irony. Absolute genius....

In case someone needs an explanation, here's the definition of begs the question: "The fallacy of petitio principii, or 'begging the question' is committed when someone attempts to prove a proposition based on a premise that itself requires proof"

Last edited:
I see what you did there. Ironically misusing "begs" while questioning irony. Absolute genius....

In case someone needs and explanation, here's the definition of begs the question: "The fallacy of petitio principii, or 'begging the question' is committed when someone attempts to prove a proposition based on a premise that itself requires proof"

The only proof I need is 80.

Back