The oddballiest GA tie-in ever

Vinny

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cousin Vinny
Clearly, the word is out that I have my medical back, as the GA junk mail pile is increasing. But today I got one that was a head-scratcher. It's from I Fly America (never heard of it) and here's the deal they offered:

• Switch your electricity supplier to an outfit called Direct Energy and lock in a fixed rate per kWh (that is a lot higher than the rate the city of Chicago recently negotiated for residents)
  • Free heating and cooling repair plan for 12 months
  • Free one year subscription/renewal of I Fly America membership (a $15 value!) :yikes:

Man, where do I sign up? :rofl:

I just opened that too. I looked all over for anything related to GA. Nothing!!

I got one yesterday from Black Card Visa!
It's stainless Steel
And pays for any lost luggage
Only $500 per year membership + 25% interest on any unpaid balance
(seems to fit right in ...)
not

It's stainless Steel
not

My wife got that one in the mail too. Additional $200 for each additional cardholder as well. :rofl:

But it's black and steel and therefore "elite"

It's stainless Steel
not

Strange thing for us is they *really* want us to have the Black Card Visa. I bet between my wife and I, we get 4-5 offers a month. The packages they send don't look cheap to produce and mail.

But the cake goes to Amex. There's a hole in a forest somewhere just for the paper to make the offers we've gotten over the years. One for me, my wife, and every LLC we have any interest in. I'd conservatively estimate we've received 30 offers since Jan 1. I wait daily for my girls and two puppies to get an Amex offer as well.

At least it beats that silly wine deal tie-in AOPA had going a few years back.

I found this one from AOPA insurance today to be a real hoot:

"Many NEELY B R/GREGORY M E MERLIN GT owners are saving on their aircraft insurance."

Really? I am pretty sure that there is exactly one "NEELY B R/GREGORY M E MERLIN GT" on the planet. And, exactly one person that owns it.

looks like you need to put your info at AOPA on do not share . ..

I want to know when that barrister in Zimbabwe is going to send me my $1.5MM ..

But it's black and steel and therefore "elite"

Ahhh, reminds me of a classic Onion story:

Credit-Card Metallurgists Unveil New 'Polonium Plus' Visa Card

FOSTER CITY, CA—In a follow-up to their already successful gold, platinum and titanium cards, Visa metallurgists unveiled the new Polonium Plus credit card Monday. "With its zero percent introductory interest rate, credit line of up to $500,000 and impressive 962º Celsius boiling point, Polonium Plus is the only choice for the discriminating shopper," said Visa scientist Dr. Andrew Manzanillo, one of the developers of the radioactive, no-fee card. "And with more isotopes than any other card, Polonium Plus isn't going to decay any time soon." Polonium cardholders who maintain a good credit record for three years will automatically be eligible for the inert Xenon Card, which comes in an attractive glass tube.

One thing I've learned over the years. If it's free, I don't want it....

They offer me something free I say, "fine send it right over, click". Nothing has ever shown up......

I got the I Fly America thing.

The scam on scam was not only are you agreeing to buy electricity at some undisclosed rate, you're buying a home warranty on your heating system, but hey, $15 goes to the great mission of I Fly America, which mission appears to be to send out that very Direct Energy offer.

I wouldn't blame AOPA. Thank FSM the Kings fought the FAA to have pilot addresses be public so we can get safety information like this.

A few years ago I used this site to opt out of a lot of mailings.

https://www.dmachoice.org

I don't seem to get nearly as much junk mail now. I wish I could opt out of those store flyers but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thank FSM the Kings fought the FAA to have pilot addresses be public so we can get safety information like this.

The Kings fought for that? What was their rationale and/or motivation?

The Kings fought for that? What was their rationale and/or motivation?

Martha King fought for the need to supply "safety information."

You know, how days after you get your student certificate you get safety information from Sporty's and King Schools - every 3rd week - for the rest of your life.

I swear Sportys and Kings schools must have spent WAY more on sending junk mail to me than they ever made off of the few things I bought from them.

I swear Sportys and Kings schools must have spent WAY more on sending junk mail to me than they ever made off of the few things I bought from them.

I've never bought anything from King and my Sporty's purchases are less than $500.00 combined over the last 30 years.:dunno: I don't even open either one of their catalogs anymore, haven't in years. :rolleyes:

I never get mail from them, and I have bought from them in the past. :dunno:

I never get mail from them, and I have bought from them in the past. :dunno:
Same here but it was way, way, in the past. Probably not even at my current address where I've lived for 20 years.

Martha King fought for the need to supply "safety information."

You know, how days after you get your student certificate you get safety information from Sporty's and King Schools - every 3rd week - for the rest of your life.

I believe that you can request that your address information not be disclosed from the database, and no, I don't necessarily think that it should be hidden by default. I also don't think that your pilot certificates and ratings are or should be private information. However, there is presently no way to hide medical limitation information, which is somewhat surprising.

JKG

Back