The Nouveau-Hillbilly

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Well, after a series of personal and relationship issues (which also were responsible for my absence from Web boards for a while -- real life kept getting in the way), I found myself with no remaining reasons to remain in the city.

I'd stayed for business, but my primary business (Web design) I can do from anywhere I can get good Internet. Then I stayed for a relationship, but that sputtered out a couple of years ago. And so on, and so on. One by one, my reasons for staying in NYC disappeared.

Not being one to quit, I fought against the obvious for a couple of months. For example, I had been considering reconciling with the ex, but she's gone back to substance abuse, which should have immediately ruled that out for me. But I was reluctant to let go, despite the fact that her and her family increasingly treated me like dirt (except when they needed something).

With regard to my charitable activities, in retrospect, it also was obvious that it was time for me to move on. But I kept fighting against the obvious. My continued involvement was actually standing in the way of what needed to happen next. And that's what I was fighting against: My identity was too tied up in the things I did "for others," and I didn't want to admit that I was in it for myself at that point.

The best analogy I can come up with is teaching someone to fly. At some point, the student has to solo. Another analogy would be teaching a little kid to ride a bike. At some point you have to let go of the bicycle and let the kid balance and ride it alone.

But I was reluctant to let go.

Eventually (and with no offense meant to the atheists here), I believe that God impressed upon me that it was time for me to go to my reward. No, not that reward. I'm not ready for the afterlife just yet. But it has always been my dream to retire (or in my case, semi-retire) to a place in the country like the one I loved when I was a child.

You have to understand that although I was born and raised in the city, I never really liked living there very much. Yes, it had its advantages, and I made the most of them. But overall, I've always preferred the country. This undoubtedly started with the little bungalow in the boondocks that my family owned when I was little. It was my favorite place in the world. I always hoped to retire somewhere very much like it.

And it was time.

Sometimes God slaps me upside the head to make a point because I'm a pretty stubborn individual by nature. But this time, he took a gentler tack. He used the first line of Ecclesiastes 3: "For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." It kept popping into my head whenever I looked at the things I was involved with, and the things I'd accomplished. I was pleased with what I'd done. I had done very well in most cases. Not perfectly, but as well as I could. I had helped many people, never asking anything in return. I had done well.

And now it was time to move on.

Through a series of unlikely coincidences, doors were opened for me to move to a place in the country. I found a place that I liked as a result of a rather comical ad I placed on Craig's List, more as a goof than anything else. It's in a community that I like, in a quiet and secluded place. But the local phone company's RDSLAM is mounted on a pole across from the driveway (hence great DSL), and it's only a mile away from a major highway.

Also, it's about an hour and a quarter from my elderly parents' home, which is about the right distance: close enough for me to check on them, but not close enough that we drive each other crazy.

In addition, my new place has great cell phone service with T-Mobile (I can see the tower from my bedroom window), to whose service I'd recently switched on the advice of my friend in the business. That was also interesting. I'd asked him to hook me up with another carrier that has better coverage overall up here, but my friend pushed hard for me to go with T-Mobile instead. Was God at it again? Who could have guessed that T-Mobile would be the carrier to have at a place I hadn't even found yet?

Another little thing that I think was God's doing had to do with my Metrocard, which is the fare card used for the NYC transit system. Metrocards don't usually wind up with exactly enough money left on them for a given number of fares. There are various bonuses on refills that don't always equal a ride, and some rides cost more than the standard $2.25 (like express buses, for example).

But when I had to go to Manhattan for one last time to tie up some loose ends before moving, there was $4.50 left on my card -- exactly enough for the fare there and back. I was left with an "empty" (zero-balance) Metrocard.

I don't think that's ever happened to me before. There has always been some odd amount of money left -- not enough for a fare, but more than zero. I think the zero-balance card was another message from God: "Hey, you're done here. It's okay to move on now."

In the process of packing, I also found a treasured item I'd misplaced: My old NYC reservoir fishing permit, which was issued to me when I was 15 years old and which bears one of the few pictures of me at that age. The place I live now is in the Pepacton watershed, a short drive from one of the NYC reservoirs, where there's great fishing. Maybe God was telling me to relax and go fishing.

So... I'm now living in a cabin in rural New York State, far from the noise, traffic, and aggravation of the city. I found a place that's quiet and secluded, yet close a main road (NY-17, soon-to-be Interstate 86). Most importantly, it also has great DSL service (thank you, Frontier Communications).

I'm acclimating well to country life. I installed a CB radio in the car yesterday, as well as a Sirius radio (there are, like, no radio stations here); and today I changed my valve cover gasket out in the grass (real rednecks fix their own cars). When I was done, as if on cue, my three neighbors stopped by to watch me start the engine and help me stare at it for a while.

Once we all agreed that the gasket wasn't leaking, we nodded approvingly, scratched our beards, enjoyed cheap beers, and talked about deer and women for a while. Then I went in and made sausage, peppers, and onions.

So in summary, I'm thoroughly enjoying this country living thing. I'm also looking for a trike instructor, as I can't think of a better kind of flying to do up here than flying a trike. I even have room to park a trailerable trike right next to my cabin, and several dinky airfields to fly it from.

I guess you can call me the "Nouveau-Hillbilly." Life is good.

-Rich

Well, after a series of personal and relationship issues (which also were responsible for my absence from Web boards for a while -- real life kept getting in the way), I found myself with no remaining reasons to remain in the city.
Even the 2nd rate pizza and hot dogs could not keep you there huh? :D:D

Rich: Glad it is all working out for you! Hopefully you can get back on the board a little more too.

Rich,

That was beautiful. Sounds like you are much happier, and much better off. Sometimes, we just have to get off our duffs, and just do things, and then we wonder why it took so long.

Great read.

Good for you! I'm hoping to remake my life one of these days too but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Good for you! I'm hoping to remake my life one of these days too but I just haven't pulled the trigger.
I started to pull the trigger earlier this year and then got sucked back into corporate life. But I am doing so with a re-prioritization of needs. I am far more willing to not work 24/7. I am taking time to do vacations as well and I will say 'no' to stuff a lot more. I got off of the management track and back onto the technical track with the new gig, so I have a bit more freedom to do my own research and not have to stick with business goals. But my plan is to move on within 5 years or so.

Excellent, Rich.

:yesnod:

My parents moved from Armpit, NJ (Bloomfield on East Orange line) on February 29th, 1980 to Brasher Falls,NY (20 miles south of Canada and 30 miles north of the Adirondacks) and never looked back.

Get back to us after the 2nd or 3rd major snow...:D

Seriously, congratulations. I found I was singing "Green Acres" to myself out on the tractor for the first couple months.

Life is good.

Absolutely. Good on you for making the change you needed to do. Too many people don't every do anything then regret it much later in life even if they don't realize they regret it.

I'm hoping to remake my life one of these days too but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Determine what you need and want then just do it. Don't wait another 10 years when things might be more ideal at some mysterious point because the reality is this: It won't be any better then in the future than it is today right now. You'll come up with a new excuse to not change every day. A few weeks turns into months which turns into years then decades then centuries. JUST DO IT.

I never pulled the trigger. Instead I jettisoned the entire used up irrelevant past without warning and got on with life. It was much like a Saturn V jettisoning the used up dead weight first stage into the ocean then getting on with the mission and to heck with the wreckage left behind. Stage 2 ignition and push - destination The Moon and if the 1st stage falls on someone, tough luck for them..we are outta here...

Just over five years ago was just another routine day doing routine everything. It was a crap situation that I hated but it was familiar instead of the scary unknown where the only constant was that everything would be undefined variables. That evening I had another run in with a couple hooligans in the rathole, um, apartment and finally did something. Within 24 hours I had bought a motorhome, moved into it and drove off over the horizon never to be seen or heard from again. I didn't even tell anyone what I was doing and didn't even have a full tank of gas at the time. I. Just. Left.
The scene: Older used motorhome, beginning of November, at night, winter coming, driving north further into snow/cold country, no job, no destination, no friends, no family, no support system, no plan, no nothing - just me and the unknown ahead with an active war zone receding in the distance behind me.
I wasn't even 10 miles outside of town before I knew this was the best decision I have ever made in my entire life and that holds true to this day. My biggest mistake was that I didn't do this after class on the last day of class when I graduated high school even before graduation ceremonies that night. I should have been poof gone by 3:35pm that day.

Lesson of the day: Don't overthink it. Just do it. The unknown is way less scary than you think it is.

<--- Nomad. Consecutive camping day #1,830. And, um, I'm thinking it's about time to drive off over the horizon never to be seen or heard from again...

Last edited:
Congratulations on making an important change in your life. It sounds like it was exactly right!

Any you can put in a nice little pond for the turtles.

Speaking of the turtles, I've finally gotten the TurtleCam back online. Two weeks worth of back-and-forth between Frontier Communications and myself yielded nothing. They couldn't get the port forwarding working, despite my having a business account and server privileges.

The problem is that their modem / router is modified in such a way that they couldn't do what I needed it to, and they wouldn't give me the password so I could give it a shot myself. They tried hard, but they couldn't make it work.

Finally, I decided to just go buy my own DSL modem / router, and it took me all of 30 seconds to get the port forwarding working once I got the modem to sync and connect. Then another hour running cables and such, and voila, the turtles are back!

http://www.myturtlecam.com/liveFeed/index.php

The tank is very unattractive right now. I still have to get the plants, a background, and a backlight. But at least they're back online again.

Thanks to everyone who expressed their good wishes. It's good to be back.

-Rich

Good thing that MetroCard balance hit zero, or you'd have to stay. :D

If my livelihood didn't depend on staying here, I'd get out of this area, too.

I've been racking my brains about what to do with the rest of what's left of my life. I tried selling my house a year ago, no luck. Now I'm looking into a reverse mortgage, which I apparently qualify for, and just stay where I've been for the last 27 years.

My dream for a while was a cabin near or next to the water up in the Pacific North west.

Then it's what to do with my 35 year old framing business.

This business of getting old sucks. Thanks for your in depth report on what you have done, it helps.

John

We haven't "met" online here yet Rich, but congrats on the change. It sounds a lot more healthy than a lot of options I've seen friends and family take to effectively "escape" their lives. I can't imagine living in NYC anyway -- way too many people.

Watch out for the sound of silence...
You are a big city boy your whole life and that grinding, incessant noise is still ringing in your head... When the echo suddenly stops at some dark o'thirty, hurling you out of the bed onto the floor in complete confusion, jump up and turn on the TV and the radio and put on some music on your Ipod, then start a fan running and hit the panic button on your car key fob so it starts beeping... You will probably fall over sound asleep right on the couch...
Then you can go through a twelve step program to wean yourself off noise...

I have a neighbor who is an ATC controller at the local jetport who flies a trike off his back yard... Remember, out here in the boonies 'neighbor' means they live at least a mile away and a back yard starts at ten acres... He comes over my place regularly and waves (hmmm, how many fingers do I see?)

As far as the CB, which has very limited utility, consider getting a ham license and replace the CB with a 144/440 transceiver in the car, you will have outstanding communication ability...

It sounds like you are in a more suburban than rural area... Even so, the local churches are the rural equivalent of a big city singles bar... Try it, you'll like it...

cheers

denny -o
Born in Detroit
Raised on a farm
Lived in the city for 40 years
Now back on the farm
No wonder I'm bipolar!

Last edited:
I was born and raised in New York City. Hated every minute of it, couldn't wait to get out. After my 18 years of being raised and then additional 4 of college, I was offered a job out in Williamsport, PA. I am so happy to be away from NYC. It wasn't until I left that I truly realized how it kills you being there.

Good luck with the new life. I'm sure you'll find it to your liking. But yes, the lack of noise does take a few nights to get used to.

No wonder I'm bipolar!
I've been bipolar all my life too, especially now, with a house in the country (sort of) and another place in the city. One of these days I'm going to need to make a choice and I'm leaning towards the city. But there's that pesky job question. I'd love to take a LOA but I know I can't and besides I suspect I wouldn't want to go back.

I've been bipolar all my life too, especially now, with a house in the country (sort of) and another place in the city. One of these days I'm going to need to make a choice and I'm leaning towards the city. But there's that pesky job question. I'd love to take a LOA but I know I can't and besides I suspect I wouldn't want to go back.

My mom made the decision to retire a few years before I was born. She has no desire to do any sort of work, and will never work again (although, she never had a good work ethic to begin with).

She loves her apartment in NYC, and doesn't understand why I find the place to be akin to hell itself. As I've come to realize, there are different places to live because different kinds of people like to live in different places.

As I've come to realize, there are different places to live because different kinds of people like to live in different places.
And there are also places and situations which are appropriate for different times of your life. No way do I want to stay in this house in this location when I get older. Even now I would be screwed if something happened to me and I couldn't drive, even for a short amount of time. When I started routinely going back to SFO someone started teasing me about that being my retirement home. I laughed at them for awhile but now it seems pretty logical. The only problem is that I'm about 10 years early.

And there are also places and situations which are appropriate for different times of your life. No way do I want to stay in this house in this location when I get older. Even now I would be screwed if something happened to me and I couldn't drive, even for a short amount of time. When I started routinely going back to SFO someone started teasing me about that being my retirement home. I laughed at them for awhile but now it seems pretty logical. The only problem is that I'm about 10 years early.

That is also true. As much as I hated New York growing up (and moreso now that I'm gone), there were definite advantages to growing up there that helped mold me to be who I am. Not being able to drive where I am would cause a few issues, and I've had to make myself pretty self-sufficient to deal with just getting out of my driveway in the winter. A different place will probably be the right choice as years progress.

Well, one thing I've learned is not to let the fire go out at night. When I woke up this morning, it was cold enough to hang meat in here.

Now that I have the last detail of the Internet situation fixed, I should be able to tidy up the place, maybe paint a wall or two, and so forth.

I'll try to get some decent pictures over the next few days. Here are a few that I took with the BlackBerry when I was looking at the place.

-Rich

Attachments

• newplace2.jpg
    newplace2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 37
  • newplace1.jpg
    newplace1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 35
  • newplace3.jpg
    newplace3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • newplace6.jpg
    newplace6.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 33
Rich,

Love the place!

That's kind of how I envision our place in the Colorado Rockies when we head back.

We don't say hillbilly, but Appalachian-American (and it's produced Apple-AT-Chen).

What kind of turtles are they? We've got a Florida River Cooter who keeps moving to progressively larger tanks. We're going to have to give her a small pond in a few years.
We had a red eared slider as well but she dies of complications of "female" problems a few years back.

We've found the turtles really love music. They share the room where my grand piano is and they all perk up towards the edge of the tank when I play (it's a Diskclavier so Margy sometimes sets it to play for them when I'm not around).

Very nice, Rich. I've got a mountain top place in VA, though it's not my primary home.

BTW, now that you're a country homeowner/hillbilly (or is that "hill-american"?) you need to learn the correct way to fix a broken winder. Please see the photo for details:

attachment.php

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Window_repair.jpg
    Window_repair.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 94
We don't say hillbilly, but Appalachian-American (and it's produced Apple-AT-Chen).

What kind of turtles are they? We've got a Florida River Cooter who keeps moving to progressively larger tanks. We're going to have to give her a small pond in a few years.
We had a red eared slider as well but she dies of complications of "female" problems a few years back.

We've found the turtles really love music. They share the room where my grand piano is and they all perk up towards the edge of the tank when I play (it's a Diskclavier so Margy sometimes sets it to play for them when I'm not around).

They're Southern Painted Turtles. They're ideal for the site because they're very animated, as turtles go. They love to swim, and they beg every time I walk by, no matter how recently they've eaten. They're also relatively friendly.

Southern Painteds aren't nearly as popular as pets as they deserve to be, however, possibly because by the time they can be legally sold as "pets" (when their carapace length has reached four inches), they're nearly full-grown. I got mine as hatchlings under a federal educational exemption.

They're also technically illegal to possess in New York State without a permit because of a poorly-worded law that doesn't differentiate between the different species of painted turtles; but again, I obtained an educational exemption from a sympathetic official at NYSDEC.

Southern Painteds seem to have a special talent for aquascaping. They pull the plants out by the roots, and occasionally move and re-plant them. But they just devour the E. densa, which is fine because it's cheap and reasonably nutritious. It makes a mess, but they don't seem to mind.

They like music, too. They seem particularly partial to the hits of the 1960's, which is convenient because that's what I have playing on Sirius all day. They also like Sinatra -- but who doesn't?

They also seem to like it when I have the fireplace lit with the door open. They sit and stare at the flames. It's not the warmth they're after because I'm pretty sure they can't feel the heat from where they are. They just seem to like watching the flames.

They also love goldfish -- a bit too much. Once every month or two they get a goldfish dinner as a treat (they're too fatty for regular fare), and the fish are usually gone within minutes. Today they actually left three of them, but I expect they'll be gone by morning.

-Rich

Very nice, Rich. I've got a mountain top place in VA, though it's not my primary home.

BTW, now that you're a country homeowner/hillbilly (or is that "hill-american"?) you need to learn the correct way to fix a broken winder. Please see the photo for details:

attachment.php

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey, I resemble that picture. I have duct tape closing up the gaps in my screen door, until I fix it. But I haven't got a Round Tuit, yet. :D

Well, one thing I've learned is not to let the fire go out at night. When I woke up this morning, it was cold enough to hang meat in here.

Now that I have the last detail of the Internet situation fixed, I should be able to tidy up the place, maybe paint a wall or two, and so forth.

I'll try to get some decent pictures over the next few days. Here are a few that I took with the BlackBerry when I was looking at the place.

-Rich

You will know you are a Nouveau-Hillbilly once you have half a dozen chickens running around the front yard and a .32 flintlock for potting rabbits and squirrels!:wink2:

It is nice to see a fellow pilot who gets his priorities strait.

Nice story, Rich; I thought you'd never divulge your new metropolis. That wood stove looks similar to the Russo air-tight stove I had in my previous house. There are a lot of people up here in our sticks who like to get out of the city.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/pining-for-maine-a-celebrity-haven_2011-11-06.html

One of them has a home not far from my place. She once came into my camera store to have a repair done to her camera. Nice lady. While examining her camera I inquired, "Has your show been renewed for another year?" "What show?" she calmly replied. "You ARE Stockard Channing, aren't you?" She was(and is).

I only moved 22 miles, from Topsham-Brunswick, into the country. Up here on the hill and in the trees there are no streams of cars/trucks/buses whizzing by; nice and peaceful for the 7 or 8 houses, each of which is nestled into its own mosquito-breeding forested area. The photo? I guess when it's time to roll up the hoses -- it was just before the recent pre-Halloween storm -- it's pretty certain the summer is over. Yup; and I'll get that stone wall finished, some time.

HR

Attachments

• Fall Me and My Shadow.JPG
    Fall Me and My Shadow.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
And there are also places and situations which are appropriate for different times of your life.

Exactly right.

We spent nearly 10 years in Western PA with acreage enough to have horses, cut down our own trees for firewood, mend fences, hunt in our back yard, chase off coyotes, tend a big garden, shovel 660 feet of driveway, spend hours on the back of a lawn tractor, annihilate snakes, and be relentlessly behind on maintenance and upkeep.

We leased the house and have moved into very nice "luxury" (whatever) apartments. We have not regretted the move once.

We have time for cycling, walking, reading, flying, socializing, and all the rest. We've bought back dozens of hours every week and it's been nice.

That said, this is what suits us now. It would not have worked when our kids were home.

Well if you do retire here - I will always let you know if there is an empty seat in whatever plane I fly. You would be welcome on any of my trips.

Well if you do retire here - I will always let you know if there is an empty seat in whatever plane I fly. You would be welcome on any of my trips.
Cool, thanks. :)

What weird is that when I visit I often listen to the oldies station on the car radio. When they play 70s music it's like I'm back living there and in college and the intervening 30+ years don't exist. :eek:

Cool, thanks. :)

What weird is that when I visit I often listen to the oldies station on the car radio. When they play 70s music it's like I'm back living there and in college and the intervening 30+ years don't exist. :eek:

It's hell getting old, isn't it.

via Tapatalk

Back