The North Forty

Steve Job

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Job
Is looking mighty empty right now. I like to arrive early to avoid the rush, and to watch them set up. This year the weather was looking a little iffy tomorrow and Friday, so why not fly in on Wednesday? I'm the first non-volunteer here. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 191
You are early! Are you on a honeymoon or similar up there? Maybe you can do some volunteering? I couldn't go yet, still working.

Nice tent! Trying mine out for the first time this year. I'm ready for Saturday!

Awesome! As the first arrival, you win free admission to the HOPS Party Wednesday night.

:)

Is looking mighty empty right now. I like to arrive early to avoid the rush, and to watch them set up. This year the weather was looking a little iffy tomorrow and Friday, so why not fly in on Wednesday? I'm the first non-volunteer here. :)

Wish I were there but it's looking like Monday best case scenario for me..maybe later in the week.

I just put most of the airplane back together. Reassembled a magento and installed it tonight. Need to double check the install, clean things up, and do a test flight before departing.

Also need to make a mount for my landing light. I was planning on 3d printing it but haven't had the time to draw it properly in cad. So, I'll just do it with some rivets, aluminum, tin snips, and spray paint.

Every year the early arrivals shift with the weather. It was pretty shutdown coming from the south/east yesterday. Today the weather is going to be CAVU over most of the area east of the Rockies....expect a lot of arrivals.

You are early! Are you on a honeymoon or similar up there? Maybe you can do some volunteering? I couldn't go yet, still working.

Yes. The Flightline Ops shack is where you volunteer for flightline stuff. You can sign up for shifts for either "parking" (the planes going into the North 40) or "traffic" where you marshal the planes from the runways onto the taxiways, take care of conflicting traffic issues, etc. I do traffic.

You sign up, and then are required to watch a 1970's era VHS training tape hosted by Tom Poborezny when he was probably in his 20s.

They will put you with a crew and they'll tell you what to do. It's a great experience and they need people these next couple of days.

Have fun!

39souJ5LIzpjDUTCNsoI1GPWpvxNlPFxxHPl0FJl-Vw=w645-h428-no

I captured this rather fun image after everyone around me had left. I think it was Wednesday.

It's a beautiful Sunday in Oshkosh! We had a strong thunderstorm yesterday morning at 545 am which flattened a number of tents. 60-65 mph winds (I was told). But today is perfect!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
It's so cool to see your Wednesday and then Sunday shot. Keep the pics coming!

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a beautiful Sunday in Oshkosh! We had a strong thunderstorm yesterday morning at 545 am which flattened a number of tents. 60-65 mph winds (I was told). But today is perfect!

It is a beautiful day today! That thunderstorm was rough! Sitting in front of the orange dot on 18/36 waiting for the Mooney mass arrival. What a day!

My view from the North 40 ain't half bad...

69f154115a056ff26e77d68ce2cef3f9.jpg

bd4e03e59f50f803b5648efcd85ca76d.jpg

8acecb88483bc833b74fe14e6f198621.jpg

5e323e9632f6b7f719fecef13a3f71dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We watched the air show from the north 40 as well. I'm surprised you found a spot to park so close in. You must have friends in high places.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend your Wednesday party this year. We're planinng to see the Apollo 13 crew at Theatre in the Woods that night, but would love to stop by and say hi. With that tall flag, you're pretty easy to spot. :)

Awesome photo! Hey, that's my airplane! What year was the photo taken?
Like Jay noted, that picture was taken last year. Which plane is yours? We're planning to be early birds again this year. Possibly as early as...tomorrow! Stop by and say hi if see an old white/blue Warrior N997SG with a green tent. Hopefully we will be in (or near) the front row.

Back