The new stuff is kinda mind boggling!

moparrob66

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Moparrob
I got my ppl in 1997 and logged about 150 hours before I got busy with career and family. My kids want to fly now, and I'm back to it, assembling a kit plane. Avionics have come a long way since the garmin 530 et al and trying to plan my panel makes me feel like an old guy trying to get his vcr to record Matlock.

Is there an "Avionics For Dummies" book or do I have to hire somebody? I want a panel thats sufficient for my kids and I to get instrument rated in and stay proficient but I dont think it should cost $15-20k. I dont need auto pilot or anything over the top...not trying to boost resale value or impress anybody. Since it'll be in an experimental I'll DIY as much as the law allows and I'm not averse to gently used stuff. Its a clean slate, so I'll need to track down everything.

Where does one start after being gone for so long?

Keep an eye on Craigslist - likely some deals popping up there soon

If you are an EAA member, there are webinars and hints for homebuilder videos on the EAA website that cover some of what you’re asking for. Garmin has a YouTube channel that you might find useful. Dynon has stuff on their website too. Also Vans Air Force (VAF) has a ton of info on various avionics systems and both Garmin and Dynon/AFS have employees that post on VAF regularly.

I want a panel thats sufficient for my kids and I to get instrument rated in and stay proficient but I dont think it should cost $15-20k.

I recently priced a nice panel upgrade for my experimental and I wanted autopilot but didn't need IFR capable and the price was going to be in the ballpark you gave not including labor.

If I can ask ... what are you building?

Thanks for the tip. I'll join EAA and BOL for the stolen glass!

I'm building a Zenith 801. Maybe not the ideal ifr cross country machine but it will operate from my back yard.

I'm building a Zenith 801. Maybe not the ideal ifr cross country machine but it will operate from my back yard.
Nothing wrong with that choice. Once it leaves the ground you should be where you want to be. ;)

Why not just do a standard six pack with a used 530 and an SL30 or whatever Gs latest is?

Glass is nice, but it has a price tag that’s going to be on the top end of your budget for an IFR system.

GRT may be an option…haven’t kept up with them though.

If you are an EAA member, there are webinars and hints for homebuilder videos on the EAA website that cover some of what you’re asking for. Garmin has a YouTube channel that you might find useful. Dynon has stuff on their website too. Also Vans Air Force (VAF) has a ton of info on various avionics systems and both Garmin and Dynon/AFS have employees that post on VAF regularly.
Join the local EAA chapter, ask the members to give you tours of their aircraft and why they chose the panel & what they would change if they had the option. Because you're going Experimental, much of the Garmin & Dynon stuff is substantially cheaper than what the Other Side (like me) have to pay for certified. Again, the EAA chapter members can help you plan and even help install the panel (translation: No dimwit, you just installed the radio upside down!). Always helps to have more hands who've done this before.

If $15-20k is your budget for your entire panel, you’re going to be hard pressed to put together anything that supports miniumun equipment to support instrument training. Even used, a WAAS GPS brings $3500 +/-.

If you’re thinking you’d like actual IMC capability, no exaggeration, you’re off by a full decimal point.

Check out the Vans Air Force forum. Lots of info there.

Call Steinair. They put together complete panels for experimental aircraft and have been doing it for a long time. They are always happy to discuss these things. Since they build using all available panel equipment they should be able to provide some good info on how to build the panel you need within the budget you have, even if you don't buy from them.

If $15-20k is your budget for your entire panel, you’re going to be hard pressed to put together anything that supports miniumun equipment to support instrument training. Even used, a WAAS GPS brings $3500 +/-.

If you’re thinking you’d like actual IMC capability, no exaggeration, you’re off by a full decimal point.
You can do a very nice panel for a lot less than $150K. But yes, you can spend that much.

FYI, the IFR system is currently strongly WAAS-GPS-biased, so for real IFR utility, an IFR GPS navigator is practically a must. There are lots of choices depending on how you want to roll your GPS (with COM, transponder, or NAV/COM). With no autopilot, basic EFIS like G5s or GI275s might be overkill, but they are very nice, and can eliminate the vacuum system as well as DG precession. Plus they offer GNSS roll steering if you ever do consider putting in an autopilot. $15-20K won't likely be enough to do a basic IFR WAAS GPS panel from scratch, and I would be hesitant to put in a GNS navigator in a new plane at this point, near the end of their useful/maintainable lives.

Back