The new flight around the world

Kimberly this world would be much better if there were more beatiful people like you and Amelia. Thanks for the posting, it made my day.

José

Aw, c'mon, David. Have you flown one? Nice birds, and Cirrus almost single-handedly revived GA sales.

Flown 'em, don't like 'em.

Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it right.

Geez..... They must have worn out two or three airbrushes to get her skin that smooth..:idea::idea:;)

I guess I'm just not impressed. Give any private pilot on this board $600,000 for an airplane and they could do it too.

I guess I'm just not impressed. Give any private pilot on this board $600,000 for an airplane and they could do it too.
You know that the real hurdle in any of these kinds of feats is to get the sponsorship and backing. It was true of the first Amelia Earhart too. Good for her if she can do it. I don't see any of us trying.

Where did you get the $600K figure? I guess I haven't read as much of her website as you have. I only did this post because I personally spoke with her / sent her charts for her Bay Area project - at the request of a pilot on another forum who contacted me privately and asked me to help.

Are you making much progress? :D

No :D. What I mean is, flying around the country with an instructor and comparing yourself to one of the aviation greats is dumb. Good for her for getting someone to give her a Cirrus, but she isn't Amelia Earhart. She never will be, either.

No :D. What I mean is, flying around the country with an instructor and comparing yourself to one of the aviation greats is dumb. Good for her for getting someone to give her a Cirrus, but she isn't Amelia Earhart. She never will be, either.

What's with all the negative waves Moriarty? I've noticed you are negative and somewhat demeaning on more than just a few topics on this board. Do the accomplishments of others really deserve these types of comments?

Last edited:
A flight around the world, with your instructor making all the tough calls, kinda reminds me of Jessica Dubroff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Dubroff

Didn't work out so well for her. Still a sad story, even all these years later.

Or maybe it's just the media attention that makes it seem so similar...

What's with all the negative waves Moriarty? I've noticed you are negative and somewhat demeaning on more than just a few topics on this board. Do the accomplishments of others really deserve these types of comments?

I don't see how flying across the country with an instructor while comparing yourself to Amelia Earhart warrants any attention. I suppose I'm sort of a hippocrit in that case, because I flew across the country with an instructor (who is now a very good friend) but I damn sure don't think I'm Amelia Earhart.

I can't think of any threads besides VFR into IMC that I have been a prick in.

And I challenge you to find a thread where I have been demeaning to any member of this board and their accomplishments.

I don't see how flying across the country with an instructor while comparing yourself to Amelia Earhart warrants any attention. I suppose I'm sort of a hippocrit in that case, because I flew across the country with an instructor (who is now a very good friend) but I damn sure don't think I'm Amelia Earhart.
Looking at it another way, if someone announced they were going to do the same flight as the original Amelia Earhart with the same equipment they would be considered a fool. What? They didn't have a crate full of backup iPads?

Touche, however one could simply announce that they are going to do the same flight, and not actually call yourself Amelia Earhart. Unless that is her real name that she was born with, if she changed it to that? UGHHHHHHH

If all six thousand POA members gave you a dollar, you would have six thousand dollars. How far could you fly around the world with that? Could the three of you at least meet in the middle and have lunch?

Tell me where to send the dollar and I will be your sponsor.

If all six thousand POA members gave you a dollar, you would have six thousand dollars. How far could you fly around the world with that? Could the three of you at least meet in the middle and have lunch?

Tell me where to send the dollar and I will be your sponsor.

Ask Jesse how many of those 6,000 contributed to the new servers a while back....

If it was >15% it would be a miracle.

Ask Jesse how many of those 6,000 contributed to the new servers a while back....

If it was >15% it would be a miracle.

I didn't get asked. Did he PM / email everybody individually? Because not each person reads each "new" post so they might have missed it. Maybe a POA "popup" next time to remind people they need donations would help.

You can do it in your mooney. Split 3 ways thats still 200k a piece.

Hehe for 200k I am totally in. I read 'upon silver wings' about two women that flew a Mooney around the world. They retro-fitted a huge fuel tank into the baggage/read seat area for the longer Pacific hops. Of course it was for a charitable cause, ALS or something I believe. I did fly (with my CFI although I was already CFI too by then) in a VFR only 172 across the country.. the short way. It was an older one too only like 150hp. It took like 10-12hrs of just flight time. 3 fuel stops (headwind). CT-AL We came back in a PA30 though, with a tailwind, one fuel stop in Charlie-West for a total of 6hrs flight time.

<---<^>--->

She's still not Amelia Earhart, no matter how much she wants to be.

David - she's a distant relative, and named by her parents, had no say in the matter. She went to school at Univ of Colorado, was a traffic reporter for a while (and got her PP at the time) then moved back home to SoCal, did the same. She's back in Colorado (and a member of the Colorado 99s both times) for a meteorological degree.

You know that the real hurdle in any of these kinds of feats is to get the sponsorship and backing. It was true of the first Amelia Earhart too. Good for her if she can do it. I don't see any of us trying.

Well, let's see. She's using Bob S' SR22 right now (have no idea who's paying for the fuel). Lots of other sponsors jump in for the visibility & PR.

Last edited:
David - she's a distant relative, and named by her parents, had no say in the matter. She went to school at Univ of Colorado, was a traffic reporter for a while (and got her PP at the time) then moved back home to SoCal, did the same. She's back in Colorado (and a member of the Colorado 99s both times) for a meteorological degree.

No. I was privately contacted by the Colorado 99s, they want her to join. They are going to call her (gave them her number which is posted on her website).

I thought she was a 99 too but someone at headquarters did the research and several years ago, as a student pilot, before PPL, she was an associate member (you can't be a member until PPL), but she stopped going to meetings, etc and "dropped out" / wasn't seen again.

A flight around the world, with your instructor making all the tough calls, kinda reminds me of Jessica Dubroff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Dubroff

Didn't work out so well for her. Still a sad story, even all these years later.

Or maybe it's just the media attention that makes it seem so similar...

Yeah, but AE is in her mid-20s, and will be late 20s by the time of the trip. Besides, she doesn't even have the instrument yet. Not exactly the same as the Dubroff child.

Back