The Mother of all stuck Mics

Didn't take the controller long to figure out what was going on and tell everyone to go over to 121.9. OTOH, it sounded like they were still trying to tell them they had a stuck mic -- which is futile exercise since the mic button cuts out the receiver.

OTOH, it sounded like they were still trying to tell them they had a stuck mic -- which is futile exercise since the mic button cuts out the receiver.
I hate when people do that, it is only the 3rd dumbest transmission to make, the 2nd is when they unstick their mic and then everyone tells them that their mic is no longer stuck. [FACEPALM]

Did you catch towards the end I think they got a phone number to call ...

That was painful to listen to, but somehow, I had to keep listening...

--david

Did you catch towards the end I think they got a phone number to call ...

That was painful to listen to, but somehow, I had to keep listening...

--david
I did catch that. I also caught the radio calls from that plane afterwards were all from the CFI. I'll bet there was a lot of 'you fly the plane and don't worry, I got the radio' conversations.

But seriously, after a little verbal butt smacking what FAR was broken? Was this deliberate and malicious or just a nervous student with his finger on the PTT or a real failure of the PTT? At worst the CFI would be told to pay more attention to the radio indicators to see if you are transmitting all the time, something I actually do if it is a little too quiet. But I don't think this is some sort of certificate action type of event.

I don't think it's a certificate action, either.

Modern avionics are getting better about detecting such situations and preventing them. I can tell you that Cessna didn't have a G1000 system installed. Here's how it handles a stuck PTT:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot004.jpg
    ScreenShot004.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 126
I don't think it's a certificate action, either.

Modern avionics are getting better about detecting such situations and preventing them. I can tell you that Cessna didn't have a G1000 system installed. Here's how it handles a stuck PTT:

attachment.php
The Garmin 430 also has that feature.

I thought they were working the pattern at or near Providence? Shouldn't the CFI have wondered about why he hadn't heard from Approach???? Or why he couldn't hear or understand other transmissions??

I was thinking ho-hum until I realized it seems all this happened at the towered airport?!? :yikes:

Back