The Mossie flies again

Yep, plywood and glue laminate laid over forms, two halves then glued together (simplistic summary of what I read elsewhere)

Yep, plywood and glue laminate laid over forms, two halves then glued together (simplistic summary of what I read elsewhere)

They took available materials, and made one hell of light fighter bomber.

Always been one of my favorite British aircraft. Very nice to see one flying. The lines just beg for somone to build a composite version in 75% scale.

I always called the Mosquito the first composite airplane. Even if was plywood and not carbon epoxy. ;)

Which reminds me of that beautiful 2/3 scale P38 recently flown in TX. Havent seen any new pics or details on it

Always been one of my favorite British aircraft. Very nice to see one flying. The lines just beg for somone to build a composite version in 75% scale.

One fast plane. I think I remember reading about some mission flying ball bearings unarmed, at night, just its speed for protection, maybe more than any fighter pursuit?

Great video what were the power plants, Allisons?

NM, I just wiki'd it and found they had RR Merlin V12s. Pretty neat machines!

Last edited:
Outstanding low and fast video.
Wonder what the vents on the inboard leading edge of the wings are?

Great video what were the power plants, Allisons?

NM, I just wiki'd it and found they had RR Merlin V12s. Pretty neat machines!

Saw one fly at Oshkosh about 20 years ago. If you think a Mustang is the best sounding airplane out there you haven't heard a Mosquito go by with two Merlins in sync:)

Brian

Saw one fly at Oshkosh about 20 years ago. If you think a Mustang is the best sounding airplane out there you haven't heard a Mosquito go by with two Merlins in sync:)

Brian

Man I bet you felt it in your chest! Good stuff!

I'm only counting 5 exhaust ports per side on this one in above video....

There were many, many variants of the Mosquito powered by an equally large number of Merlin engines some built by Rolls Royce and some by Packard. What ever the variant is that's being flown here....it's a thing of beauty. Thanks for the video post.

Back