The Mooney Flyer OCTOBER Edition

pcorman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Corman
Here is your October Edition of The Mooney Flyer!

Click Here for the PDF: http://www.vintagemooneygroup.com/MooneyFlyerOctober2012.pdf
Click Here for the Flip Book: http://jdpricecfi.com/FLIPOct12/index.html

In this issue:
 The myths of your engine's TBO debunked
 Paul Loewen on Pay now or Pay Later on Maintaining your Vintage Mooney
 Landing with No Flaps, Partial, or Full Flaps
 Product Review of the Stratus ADS-B IN receiver
 It's a Bird, it's a plane, No, it's Super AWOS
 The Mooney 301 - The Mooney that almost was
 A First Timer's MAPA Convention
 Everything you need to know about Wind Shear
 Another Mooney Tale from the Right Seat, this month from Winslow, AZ
 And a bit of fun with Phrases we hate in Airplane Advertisements

Please forward this email to others and have them subscribe by sending an email to TheMooneyFlyer@gmail.com and ask to be added to the subscription list. It's FREE.

Sincerely,
Phil Corman & Jim Price

Thanks for the hard work on these newsletters, Phil & Jim!!

Something I'd like to see in future editions would be a "walkthrough" of the various models providing us yet-to-be-converted Mooniacs more info about what makes that particular model unique, what to look for as far as features and performance, what did the different variants of the models bring, and what to look closely at during a purchase inspection.

I know there is a book printed that had that information, but it's been darned hard to find now that it's out of print, and those that are for sale are priced pretty high dollar.

Keep up the good work!!

Cool newsletter, thanks! I thought the article on engine TBO's was a great read but had a question: wouldn't the two graphs on page 12 showing low accident totals for aircraft with engines between 2000-3000 hours SMOH and 10-25 years SMOH be a stronger indication that less planes are flying that meet that criteria than an indication that those engines actually safer? Just a thought. Thanks again for the good read.

Thanks for the hard work on these newsletters, Phil & Jim!!

Something I'd like to see in future editions would be a "walkthrough" of the various models providing us yet-to-be-converted Mooniacs more info about what makes that particular model unique, what to look for as far as features and performance, what did the different variants of the models bring, and what to look closely at during a purchase inspection.

I know there is a book printed that had that information, but it's been darned hard to find now that it's out of print, and those that are for sale are priced pretty high dollar.

Keep up the good work!!

Here's a start for your review of the differences between M20 Models.
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft performance/Mooney/31.htm

phil

Great newsletter. I must say though, that pay now or pay later article scares the crap outta me regarding corrosion. I love the efficiency numbers on those vintage mooneys but man they sure sound like rust magnets. And apparently that tubular steel is not easy to diagnose either.

For those who know Mooneys. Is the pitch the author pushes about anything that hasn't been maintained by a MSC pretty much a hidden rust coffin really credible? That seemed a little bit of a reach by the author, judging by how some Mooney owners I've spoken to seem to have the opposite experience.

Still on the fence about these old mooneys, but great newsletter. Very informative!!

Last edited:
Here's a start for your review of the differences between M20 Models.
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft performance/Mooney/31.htm

phil

That is a start for sure. But I hope to one day see more than just performance numbers. Like what small and large stuff make the different models or submidles distinct from their brethren.

A series of reviews and details like the article on the 301 you did.

Provide information for the "yet to have drunk the kool aid and shave their head" crowd to understand why you Mooniacs are so ga-ga over the aircraft. And deeper than "I can go this fast on just a thimble of fuel".

PS. It's still a most excellent information product!!! You guys are doing the aviation community a huge service with your efforts and talents!!

That is a start for sure. But I hope to one day see more than just performance numbers. Like what small and large stuff make the different models or submidles distinct from their brethren.

A series of reviews and details like the article on the 301 you did.

Provide information for the "yet to have drunk the kool aid and shave their head" crowd to understand why you Mooniacs are so ga-ga over the aircraft. And deeper than "I can go this fast on just a thimble of fuel".

PS. It's still a most excellent information product!!! You guys are doing the aviation community a huge service with your efforts and talents!!

This should tell you what you need to know

Thanks for posting this. I don't fly a Mooney, but I found several of the articles to be very interesting.

I'd also be interested in reading the type of article that AggieMike88 mentioned.

Great newsletter. I must say though, that pay now or pay later article scares the crap outta me regarding corrosion. I love the efficiency numbers on those vintage mooneys but man they sure sound like rust magnets. And apparently that tubular steel is not easy to diagnose either.

For those who know Mooneys. Is the pitch the author pushes about anything that hasn't been maintained by a MSC pretty much a hidden rust coffin really credible? That seemed a little bit of a reach by the author, judging by how some Mooney owners I've spoken to seem to have the opposite experience.

Still on the fence about these old mooneys, but great newsletter. Very informative!!

You need to ALWAYS do a pre-buy on vintage Mooneys. Ensure that Mooney Service Bulletin M20-208B from August 1989 has been performed. Then, check on corrosion in all the known places, at least during an annual. Apply corrosion prevention, periodically. Don't live near the ocean. :)

Back