The Minam Flight canceled

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I was going to fly into the Minam Lodge and take some friends with me for breakfast. When checking the weather I notice that the predicted overnight low temp. was calling for about 50 degrees F. The Dew point was 57 degrees. Anticipating morning fog in the Minam River Valley I canceled our flight.

I got the following Email from them after I had canceled and told them why.:

After our trip out in the desert, and Rome for breakfast...We were talking to someone about it. We loved that trip. Whoever it was, and I really don't remember said...isn't he a little old? We said..he is a very good pilot. He is careful..he is cautious and conscientious . We would fly again with him anytime...and we meant that. You just proved us right, by canceling.

I was going to fly into the Minam Lodge and take some friends with me for breakfast. When checking the weather I notice that the predicted overnight low temp. was calling for about 50 degrees F. The Dew point was 57 degrees. Anticipating morning fog in the Minam River Valley I canceled our flight.

I got the following Email from them after I had canceled and told them why.:

After our trip out in the desert, and Rome for breakfast...We were talking to someone about it. We loved that trip. Whoever it was, and I really don't remember said...isn't he a little old? We said..he is a very good pilot. He is careful..he is cautious and conscientious . We would fly again with him anytime...and we meant that. You just proved us right, by canceling.

That kind of decision making Bob explains how you got to be a "little old" and how you plan to get a lot older. :wink2:

That kind of decision making Bob explains how you got to be a "little old" and how you plan to get a lot older. :wink2:

I am not vain enough to think that a flight could not go awry for me. I was just today reading about the plane crash that killed that Alaska Stevens. and the pilot a Terry Smith was supposed to be one of the best pilots in Alaska. So I try to keep things in perspective. If he can crash one, then I had better keep a strong vigil while doing my back country flying. I remember some of the stories of Ernie Gann in FATE IS THE HUNTER......

Back