The Man Who Killed Bin Laden

No TV here.

Aren't there two Seals with conflicting stories, both claiming to have killed him?

This situation would lend itself to conspiracy theorists who would claim that nobody killed Bin Laden and he's still alive.

No TV here.

Aren't there two Seals with conflicting stories, both claiming to have killed him?

This situation would lend itself to conspiracy theorists who would claim that nobody killed Bin Laden and he's still alive.

You would have to see the interview and hear what the shooter has to say. Basically, there are two versions because of a series of events that lead the 3rd man up the stairs think he was the first. The first guy tackled 2 women he saw as threats. The second man in was the shooter and shot BL twice in the face, and once again on the ground. The 3rd guy in saw BL on the floor and popped him again. The situation was pretty fluid.

Thought I heard the Navy is pretty ticked off at these sailors...

Hard cheese the Navy should have paid the bounty.

Why? We don't pay cops reward money. While I have great respect for the SEALs, going to the press with this stuff doesn't make sense to me. At a minimum, it would seem to put their own families at risk.

The other option would be to keep it a secret.

Why? We don't pay cops reward money. While I have great respect for the SEALs, going to the press with this stuff doesn't make sense to me. At a minimum, it would seem to put their own families at risk.

I don't know about those guys, but I had to sign affidavits that I wouldn't divulge classified information when my service terminated. They weren't really "affidavits", more an acknowledgement that I understood I would be subject to Federal prosecution if I did so.

I have a lot of respect for Seals but they aren't the only ones with great stories that shouldn't be told. As far as I'm concerned maintaining OPSEC is part of the job and on that task they failed.

I'm really torn on this. I see the problems for the SEALS, but the need for the victims of 9/11 to hear and meet the man who took revenge for all of us is pretty motivating. Ultimately, the man has a right to speak.

The story has already been told in much detail. He did not disclose operational details that were not already leaked by the administration.

We need to back this man, he is a true hero.

Last edited:
My take....

Given all the lies from both parties.... ie : Benghazi, IRS, Bergdahl, amnesty, ISIS, Grubber etc, etc,etc...
1- NO ONE can be trusted.
2- Timing of this disclosure is suspect
3- Body pitched over the side of the boat
4- Just a smokescreen for the newest failures of Obamacare...

Magicians need it to fool the masses ( hey, look over here while I pull the rabbit out of the hat)..

Without pics of OBL head blown off, I don't believe any damn part of it.. And even then I will rate those pics as photoshopped...

IMHO...

Carry On...

My take....

Given all the lies from both parties.... ie : Benghazi, IRS, Bergdahl, amnesty, ISIS, Grubber etc, etc,etc...
1- NO ONE can be trusted.
2- Timing of this disclosure is suspect
3- Body pitched over the side of the boat
4- Just a smokescreen for the newest failures of Obamacare...

Magicians need it to fool the masses ( hey, look over here while I pull the rabbit out of the hat)..

Without pics of OBL head blown off, I don't believe any damn part of it.. And even then I will rate those pics as photoshopped...

IMHO...

Carry On...

Well, the videos seem to have tapered off...

Oh brother. This is going to end up like the "Who shot Baron Von Richthofen?" story. The debate will go on for decades. Who cares? OBL is dead. (and I do believe that because there is no talk about him anywhere, not even in the Middle East and terrorist propaganda networks) That is what matters. The life and times of all Navy Seals are interesting. They are an exceptional breed.

No pictures of a dead bin Laden because they all emptied their clips into the body. Wasn't much left to take pictures of.

Anyone see the 2 hour Fox special?

Amazing story.

Very powerful. I think the most powerful part for me was the interview with his father about the call from his son before leaving on the mission. Any father of a young man couldn't help but tear up listening to his story.

Sac Arrow hit it spot on - Silent Professional. That's taught from day one, no matter what tier, team, service, etc... Also, it isn't about just one guy. There was an entire task force that did this job. One guy got the shots off, but he didn't get into that compound by himself. I realize what it means to the families of the fallen, but I have to think it could have been done a bit better than a Fox
News piece.

No pictures of a dead bin Laden because they all emptied their clips into the body. Wasn't much left to take pictures of.

See... The seal said he was shot only 3 times.....

Now you say he was shot dozens of times.....

Which is it..:dunno::dunno::dunno:....

Ps... you can bet there were ALOT of pics taken too...

There should have never been any mention of who (Seal Team 6) carried out the mission, it really didn't matter.

The only thing to be said should have been "Our special forces carried out the mission". The administration has used this and leaked information for their personal gain.

Over history there have been countless missions undertaken, the majority of the time the general public never knew anything happened. The people who join the SF aren't doing it for publicity, just quiet satisfaction to support their country and their fellow men.

I don't know about those guys, but I had to sign affidavits that I wouldn't divulge classified information when my service terminated. They weren't really "affidavits", more an acknowledgement that I understood I would be subject to Federal prosecution if I did so.

I have a lot of respect for Seals but they aren't the only ones with great stories that shouldn't be told. As far as I'm concerned maintaining OPSEC is part of the job and on that task they failed.

What's the point if you "had" to sign it?

I have mixed feelings....

In this day and age....their info was going to be leaked. And some already was.

Code and honor is foremost which is why it's easy to to say WTF were these guys thinking?

With your name already being told or on the brink...im sure these guys are ****ed that the country they protect was going to let them down.

Im sure the "code" went out the window when the country that imbedded this ideal in their minds decided not to play by the same rules.

What's the point if you "had" to sign it?

None really, just the standard governmental "check the box" mentality. What would happen if I didn't sign it? Hassle over clearing the post for ETS, maybe a possible ineligibility for future clearances. Not sure honestly.

See... The seal said he was shot only 3 times.....

Now you say he was shot dozens of times.....

Which is it..:dunno::dunno::dunno:....

Ps... you can bet there were ALOT of pics taken too...

I should have said no pictures of the body will be released because the team emptied their clips into the body. My bad. I don't have proof but I do know a little about covert operations.

3 shots may have been used to kill OBL. After the team discovered who they had, it was pay back time. Myself I would not have looked at him and said the job is done, not until I had no more bullets.

And he wasn't shot dozens of times.....

I was in Central America in the early 80s and our job was to hunt down drug cartel leaders. The CIA called our targets. We never used one bullet. We used all of them. I still have nightmares.

And yes I signed the paper stating I would never talk about my experiences. I also wrote a book about my time in Central America. The DOD has the manuscript and still says it is classified information. I no longer speak of my time in the military.

You can believe whatever the hell you want.

Sac Arrow hit it spot on - Silent Professional. That's taught from day one, no matter what tier, team, service, etc... Also, it isn't about just one guy. There was an entire task force that did this job. One guy got the shots off, but he didn't get into that compound by himself. I realize what it means to the families of the fallen, but I have to think it could have been done a bit better than a Fox
News piece.

Correct. All of them signed an agreement to keep their mouths shut under penalty of jail time. They agreed to this . They were issued some type of clearance, maybe secret or top secret. They broke their contract and their word. It was about a team not a high wire act. it's about your word and a matter of honor. I'm sure the majority of special forces would agree.

I should have said no pictures of the body will be released because the team emptied their clips into the body. My bad. I don't have proof but I do know a little about covert operations.

3 shots may have been used to kill OBL. After the team discovered who they had, it was pay back time. Myself I would not have looked at him and said the job is done, not until I had no more bullets.

And he wasn't shot dozens of times.....

I was in Central America in the early 80s and our job was to hunt down drug cartel leaders. The CIA called our targets. We never used one bullet. We used all of them. I still have nightmares.

And yes I signed the paper stating I would never talk about my experiences. I also wrote a book about my time in Central America. The DOD has the manuscript and still says it is classified information. I no longer speak of my time in the military.

You can believe whatever the hell you want.

Hmmm

You said
"
No pictures of a dead bin Laden because they all emptied their clips into the body. Wasn't much left to take pictures of."

Seems to me the Seal said there were three of them that entered the third floor.. All = 3..... X 3 clips.......

How much does each clip hold ? 12 , 15 , 20 :dunno:..:rolleyes2:

3 Seals times 15 bullet in each clip = 45 bullets... Thar sir is just under 4 dozen....

Correct ?:confused:

Correct. All of them signed an agreement to keep their mouths shut under penalty of jail time. They agreed to this . They were issued some type of clearance, maybe secret or top secret. They broke their contract and their word. It was about a team not a high wire act. it's about your word and a matter of honor. I'm sure the majority of special forces would agree.

Those that don't agree with that as a professional given, usually don't last very long, in my experience.

SF guys aren't driven by medals. Half the time, the stuff they do they can't get medals or recognition for, because it "never happened", didn't happen in a declared combat zone, or for whatever reason it can't be discussed.

The fact of the matter is your uniform can look like you did five tours in Nam whether you actually busted some ass and put your life on the line, or showed up for the party for one day.

Last edited:
These guys are getting out of the military, some with no medical and no retirement pension. They're tired of holding on to a secret, and let's say it, they're looking to cash in on their service. It's that simple.

As far as releasing secrets, I'm sure some of what's been said or written (No easy days) had information that would be considered sensitive but it's in no way a detriment to our security. So they went into Pakistan in helos and fast roped into a compound. How else are they going to get in there? Common sense would suggest that's about the only way of pulling off the mission. Stealth helos? Well once they balled one up and left the tail rotor behind the cat was out of the bag then. 4 tube 120 degree NVGs? They weren't secret at the time and you can buy them online now for about 40 grand. A lot this concern about how this op went down are basic TTPs that the SF community uses and anyone with half a brain would realize how they employ them. Look at the two aid workers that were rescued in Somalia a couple years ago. What's the most logical way of getting captives out of a third world country? 160 th and Navy SEALs.

What I find funny is that the dude who wrote No Easy Days didn't realize he had to sanitize his book thru the military prior to release. He thought since he was now a civilian, keeping secret details of an operation no longer applied. Lol! No that's not how it works. Then he tried to stay anonymous to protect himself and his family . Should've thought about that before you rushed your book into print to make a buck. Personally, if I was part of that operation I would not have told a soul. Tali, Al Qaeda and others are pretty stupid but not dumb enough not to have a vendetta.

I hope for these guys sakes they know what they are doing in the long run. Security for themselves and their families being a primary concern, and their mental health and well being decades from now.

But for now, all I can say is "Well Done", and thank you! :D

If you want to read a good book on what it's like to be a SEAL and the rigors that go with it, read Fearless. It's the story of SEAL Adam Brown. It's been properly reviewed by the SEAL community and approved for public release.

Hmmm

You said
"
No pictures of a dead bin Laden because they all emptied their clips into the body. Wasn't much left to take pictures of."

Seems to me the Seal said there were three of them that entered the third floor.. All = 3..... X 3 clips.......

How much does each clip hold ? 12 , 15 , 20 :dunno:..:rolleyes2:

3 Seals times 15 bullet in each clip = 45 bullets... Thar sir is just under 4 dozen....

Correct ?:confused:

The SEALS were using M-1 Garands? :wink:

I doubt those guys "leaked" a thing. They followed orders. This is probably bs to distract from the individual who actually pulled the trigger. Knowing a few SEALs, I my guess would be that Bin Laden was alive, but in pieces when he hit the water.

SEAL's don't retire, once a SEAL, always a SEAL. Maybe officially, but not in reality. I grew up next door to a SEAL who "retired" after 'Nam. It wasn't unusual for him to disappear twice a year for a month or 2, and those were the only trips he wouldn't speak of.

Does anybody know if/when the program will be repeated?

I personally think that as long as the government wants to help Hollywood make movies, like Zero Dark Thirty, than the SEAL or whoever involved can come out and talk about it if they want.

I personally think that as long as the government wants to help Hollywood make movies, like Zero Dark Thirty, than the SEAL or whoever involved can come out and talk about it if they want.

Exactly. The government told the story and the details to Hollywood long before these guys came forward.

That's kind of my take on it, too. If higher ups and politicians are going to leak or talk about things, and profit from it in some form or fashion (even if its not monitarily), why should the guys who actually did the work be expected to walk around with gags over their mouths?

This is definitely a grey area, but I'm leaning more towards the side of the former SEALs telling their side of the story. If that means they make a little $$$ from it, so be it.

Not sure I would, though, just from the family security aspect. I don't think I'd want my name and picture plastered all over the place. Writing a book under a pseudonym is one thing, but getting out in the talk show circuit with your real identity isn't something I think I could do.

News piece.

+1. No one person killed bin Laden, an entire mission and its support team did.

As far as those of you who don't believe bin Laden is dead, al Quaeda confirmed it not long after the mission.

+1. No one person killed bin Laden, an entire mission and its support team did.

As far as those of you who don't believe bin Laden is dead, al Quaeda confirmed it not long after the mission.

Did Bagdad Bob become their spokesman?

Well, there's a bit of difference.

One thing the government didn't do is reveal the identities of the mission participants. Now that Al Queda knows who the shooter is (or who claims to be the shooter), it's likely that person...and their families...may become a target.

If the government had inadvertently revealed the name of the shooter...or if someone else involved with the mission did... there'd be no question that the government would be responsible for their future protection.

But when the government had taken pains to protect the shooter's identity to keep him safe, and the shooter HIMSELF deliberately broke security and revealed himself...what obligation does the government have?

Ron Wanttaja

Back