The love affair begins

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
I made my first real flight as pilot in command of my new airplane this morning. (I'd gotten some time in yesterday, while getting a ride to the factory, but not much, and no landings.) I was, quite frankly, nervous about it. I'd only done passably in the Zodiac I flew back in February, and this one was my airplane!!...

It went far better than I'd expected, and as well as I could have asked for. We got going early so the wind and turbulence wouldn't be a problem. It paid off, because we were pretty comfortable the whole time. We flew over to a nice, but little used, airport about 15 miles away, and for the next hour plus, I made takeoffs and landings in all of the aircraft's various configurations, with a couple of go-arounds and one power-off approach thrown in for good measure. All 10 landings failed to suck; none were real greasers, but they were all quite acceptable. The airplane did just what I told it to, and I finally felt like I knew how to fly it. It's almost like it knew it was performing for its new owner.

I think I'll keep it. We're still working through a list of things to be fixed, but it's shrinking steadily, and by the time I leave (likely, Friday morning), it'll be empty.

We'll do the traditional handing over of the keys picture with me in the TRON costume, and then I'll taxi down to the aviation college and get pictures with the students and faculty down there. That will likely be tomorrow afternoon. (They're fixing some paint issues on the airplane this afternoon.)

I think I can speak for many.....if envy is a deadly sin, then we are all doomed. Congrats on the new ride.:cheerswine:

After reading up on the Zodiac and seeing pics of your new plane it has convinced my ownership partner and I that the Zodiac XLi is the one for us. We hope to be doing the same in 2 years.

Enjoy.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know. I'll post pics as soon as I get some good ones, likely tomorrow (in the costume!).

Congrats, Jay! I can't wait to see the new bird!

Any new estimated Iowa City arrival date?

Okkay, folks, you wanted pictures?...

N55ZC-keys.jpg

N55ZC-owner.jpg

N55ZC-panel.jpg

How's that?

Okkay, folks, you wanted pictures?...

Whoa! I thought that first pic was Photoshopped, then I realized, you're "that guy." Didn't figure we'd end up with a real, live Internet meme here. :)

Congratulations on your purchase. A plane is a mistress who will take all of your money, but you'll love her anyway. :cheerswine:

BTW, what is that LCD panel below the throttle knob?

-Rich

Whoa! I thought that first pic was Photoshopped, then I realized, you're "that guy." Didn't figure we'd end up with a real, live Internet meme here. :)
Yes, that's really me. I wish I could say that I'm paying for the airplane with the money that fame has brought me, but there hasn't been a lot of that...

And besides, who else would have their airplane painted that color?

BTW, what is that LCD panel below the throttle knob?
That's a Dynon D-10 engine management system. That little screen has lots and lots of information on it; I even sprang for the fuel flow sensor, on the premise that it's better to know than guess.

Last edited:
I'll be GD'd - you really DID get your picture taken with a TRON costume!!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. There is nothing quite like the feeling of sitting in the cockpit of your own plane.

Great! We have an almost identical Zodiac in our club (Dayton Pilots Club). It is my airplane of choice for making solo business trips. Very economical and not too bad in speed. It is very noisy, so make sure you get some high quality ANR headsets.

Due to declining membership, our zodiac is for sale in case any one is interested.

Great! We have an almost identical Zodiac in our club (Dayton Pilots Club). It is my airplane of choice for making solo business trips. Very economical and not too bad in speed.
That's what it's looking like for me, too. What do you flight plan yours at? I'm using 110 knots cruise to start with.

I was in Dayton for Hamvention. I thought about driving down to the airport to see if I could take a look at that airplane, but never got around to doing it.

It is very noisy, so make sure you get some high quality ANR headsets.
I've got a Lightspeed Zulu, and will get another in a little while.

Due to declining membership, our zodiac is for sale in case any one is interested.
IIRC, that one's pretty well equipped. It should make a nice airplane for some lucky buyer.

That's what it's looking like for me, too. What do you flight plan yours at? I'm using 110 knots cruise to start with.

I plan for 100 knots, and I throttle back to about 2450rpm to reduce noise fatigue. I've taken it up as high as 9500ft. In smooth air it is a great joy to fly.

The factory probably already told you, but one thing I would warn you about is not to step outside the black strip on the wing. Most people are careful about not stepping outboard of that black strip, but the inboard part where it joins the fuselage is also just sheet metal, and is probably more difficult to repair than the outboard skin.

Also, watch out when leaving the canopy open. The wind can easily push it closed, and you don't want any parts of your body in the way. I know from experience :-(

Back