The Lost Squadron

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Tonight, I had a great time hearing Richard Taylor speak about recovering a P-38 from beneath the ice of Greenland. And until I got the invite, didn't even know he was a fellow Georgia Tech alum (architecture, at that). I can't even begin to do the story justice here; I guess you'll just have to buy the book. ;)

Highlights from the speech:

- He and Pat Epps (son of Georgia's aviation pioneer Ben Epps -- see KAHN airport) decided on a whim to fly to the North Pole in a Bonanza because "it wasn't that far away" from Oshkosh. Quick quiz: what does a magnetic compass do at the North Pole?

- After breaking the radar kart's axle and almost getting lost while trying to locate the buried planes, Richard radioed back that he was hungry and out of oil. Pat flew by and dropped a Hershey bar taped to a quart of oil. (He did land a few minutes later to pick them up)

- The planes were buried under 250 feet of ice and snow! Normally, the arctic is fairly arid, but this location about 12 miles in from the Greenland coast was close enough to the jet stream's moisture to receive 30 feet of snow per year. That melts into 5 feet of ice each year. Times 50 years.

- Only one P-38 was recovered. There are five more, and two B-17s, still there.

If you ever have the chance to hear Richard speak, I highly, highly recommend you do so. He is a fantastic storyteller and is the other handsome guy in the picture...

-Rich

Attachments

• RichardTaylor.jpg
    RichardTaylor.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 13
We had Pat and Richard up here for a Lifeline event. Wonderful story. "Wish I had my Bonanza back...." Sigh.

Do have an autographed book!

Quick quiz: what does a magnetic compass do at the North Pole?
At the north geographic pole, it points to the north magnetic pole, with considerable "dip". And no, that is not a reference to your co-pilot! :D

-Skip

At the north geographic pole, it points to the north magnetic pole, with considerable "dip". And no, that is not a reference to your co-pilot! :D

-Skip
Your answer, as written, would be right because the magnetic and geographic poles are about 600 miles apart.

I should've been more specific: what happens to your compass as you fly over the magnetic North Pole?

-Rich

what happens to your compass as you fly over the magnetic North Pole?
Depending on compass construction, it either: a) spins aimlessly, or b) tries to point straight down, the bearing binds, and it just sits there not turning relative to the aircraft.

-Skip

I should've been more specific: what happens to your compass as you fly over the magnetic North Pole?

How high over? :) If you put a magnetic compass in the Space Shuttle, what would it indicate, if anything, while in orbit?

Back