The long way around

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
@Radar Contact must have had a bad day because he sent us the long way around. Just kidding. While in the air I was wondering if they were sending us to the 14s, which I thought was odd. All the turns NW of Chicago was a bit odd. But sequencing and whatnot I get. Added about 10 minutes to an already late flight. I just wanted to get home.

Screenshot_20200531-113634.png

Doesn't look too bad to me! But be careful of what you wish for - downwind on the north side might save you 5 minutes in the air but add 30 minutes on the ground. 27R/9L has paid for *lots* of beer over the years. ;)

Doesn't look too bad to me! But be careful of what you wish for - downwind on the north side might save you 5 minutes in the air but add 30 minutes on the ground. 27R/9L has paid for *lots* of beer over the years. ;)
But what's with the turns just past the state line? We coulda come due south over DPA and turned left. Maybe that crosses the climbing corridors.

But what's with the turns just past the state line? We coulda come due south over DPA and turned left. Maybe that crosses the climbing corridors.

It woulda been for one of two things. a. traffic. b. controller amusement.

It's a 747. Everyone is supposed to get out of our way. ;)

If they don't, you can eat them...

images

Two arrivals come in at that corner at the same altitude and 300kts (the other from RFD approach you were from MKE approach). The only time your plane would turn like that is for sequence to the airport. No altitude sep so you vector. Most all the heavies want 28C so they turn over the top for the south downwind. Welcome back home!

Last edited:

The MADII arrival and the FYTTE arrivals meet up in that area. A common controller technique when there is a tie is to give the traffic on the MADII (your flight in this case) a slight right turn, then direct to a fix back on the arrival (usually SOOLU, which is what it look like). From there you go to JORJO and onto the downwind. This keeps you close to O’Hare so the departures going west don’t get stuck down at 5000’ for a long time while you pass overhead.

Two arrivals come in at that corner at the same altitude and 300kts (the other from RFD approach you were from MKE approach). The only time your plane would turn like that is for sequence to the airport. No altitude sep so you vector. Most all the heavies want 28C so they turn over the top for the south downwind. Welcome back home!
Thanks. Let's go flying sometime. I flew through the south sector yesterday afternoon and had a female controller but don't think it was your better half. Didn't sound like her anyway.

Thanks. Let's go flying sometime. I flew through the south sector yesterday afternoon and had a female controller but don't think it was your better half. Didn't sound like her anyway.
You are correct that it wasn’t her. We flew back from Mackinac Island yesterday. Always looking for a reason to fly. We’ll have to link up soon.

Back