The Last C-141

I was there for the arrival. The runway at the Museum is now closed except for flights associated with the Museum and is the one I learned to fly from many moons ago.

The guy in the Flight Suit and Ball Cap is MG Ed Mechenbier, USAF Ret, former POW, a friend of mine who flew his final mission in the Hanoi Taxi to repatriate remains to the USA from Vietnam and North Korea.

Cheers

He worst flight and probably the worst day of my life was spent riding one of them home from VN, It was a medivac flight with the weeks causalities aboard.

When I was an electrician at KEWR, I was lucky enough to board one of these! It was during a visit to NYC by then president Bill Clinton. The C-141 brought in the limos. My co-worker and I setup portable lights around it and then I asked the crew to see the cockpit.

They were happy to let me visit and even took pictures of me in the Capt's & co-pilot's seats. I cherish those photos:)

He worst flight and probably the worst day of my life was spent riding one of them home from VN, It was a medivac flight with the weeks causalities aboard.

You liked VN that much huh? :eek: :rofl: ;)

Many would have thought riding it home from the Nam would have been the best day of their life. :lol:

Thank you for your service Tom, did not know you are a VN vet.

Last edited:
My cousin used to fly them. Transitioned to the C-17 and commanded a squadron of those.

Many would have thought riding it home from the Nam would have been the best day of their life.
Round trips don't count.

Thank you for your service Tom, did not know you are a VN vet.

Thank you for buying me all that AV gas. :)

I had the honor to be a tiny part of this magnificent aircraft's legacy during Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom. We used it for the Aeromedical Evacuation mission from Ramstein AFB to Andrews AFB during the summer of 2003.

Galin Hanoi Taxi.JPG

Back