The Jump !

I did it as an airborne ranger, but that was about 35 years ago. I had an uncle that jumped once, into France, in 1945. He only volunteered because it added $15.oo more a month to his army pay.

I did it by myself, not tandem (not counting the two instructors that hung on to me until I demonstrated that I could figure out the throw) about two years ago. Would have liked to do more but the weather turned bad and by the time it improved, my money for it had been spent elsewhere. I had mixed feelings about the wind in freefall but once the chute opened, I was in my element as a pilot.

I've made a bit over 400 jumps over the years and loved them all. A fantastic experience!

I did seven jumps in college, all static line. It's kind of cool, but too brief. Also, the harness was painful. Much later in life I tried hang gliding, and that's much more to my liking. Plus, you get to go up as well as down and you can stay up for hours if the conditions are right.

Few thousand for me. Loads of fun, unless you get stupid and make it your job. Although I still think I should have opened a drop zone rather then go back to college.

Back