The joy of IT: All my email is gone!

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Email from management level person late last night:

"I just logged on remotely and Outlook is gone."

Nobody saw the email until this morning. Nobody called us.

Second email this morning:

"Logged on at the office and email is no longer on my computer."

Email from mini-me other system admin five minutes later:

"I took care of this. A shortcut disappears and ‘OMG Outlook is goooone!’"

Hillary?? Is that you??

Haha. Apparently the first personal email provider is local and they got an internal email from their servers that said something along the lines of ...

"This **** looks shady. Get it in writing that they want the backups switched to 30 days."

Now I want to find that sysadmin who typed that and buy him or her a beer.

Alex, $500 for "First hint that you might be exploring the job market."

Sounds like a stressful job! Lol

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like a stressful job! Lol

Ha. It's not stuff like this that causes the stress. It's knowing they've asked for a complete overhaul of systems and stuff and that if the managers can't even find a missing icon, designing something they can use is going to be pretty rough.

After a while you learn how to differentiate between real problems and perceived ones.

"No, I don't know why you have to click Start to shut off your computer. No I've never heard that joke before, it's so funny. (Rolling eyes...) I'm going to give Bill Gates a call and ask him right after we hang up..."

"The internet is down. Somebody STOLE the internet!"

Nah, we just had to take it offline so the techs could safely clean out the bit buckets.

;)

My absolute favorite desktop support remote access session is in this video...

"I'm sorry, there's no 'sort by penis' for desktop icons..."

http://youtu.be/W8_Kfjo3VjU

LOL... the IT Crowd is good for a chuckle.

So to continue the saga of the e-mail disappearance... Not kidding... same person this morning...

-----
VIRUS ALERT

Our content checker found
virus: Email.Trojan-432

in an email to you from probably faked sender:
?@[REDACTED]
claiming to be: <REDACTED@REDACTED.com>

Content type: Virus
Our internal reference code for your message is 05685-01/fGkP6cYYGRLi

First upstream SMTP client IP address: [REDACTED]:35022
REDACTED.com
Received from: REDACTED

Return-Path: <REDACTED.com>
Message-ID: <0e8e1e51.00001f14.00000004@REDACTED.com>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0
Subject: FW: Online Service Complaints - Submission received by HM Revenue and
Customs
The message has been quarantined as: virus-quarantine.llshn5dtlr@REDACTED.com

Please contact your system administrator for details.

---

Bet I know where her desktop icon went, now. And her machine needs a frakking cleaning of whatever crap she opened that got around our usual virus scanner.

"Someone call 911 and report some stolen emails!"

"Someone call 911 and report some stolen emails!"

Hah... Anyone who administers a typical office phone system with the retarded left-over "standard" of dialing "9" before outside calls, gets to meet the officers at the back door every time some doofus dials "911" and then hangs up, when meaning to dial "9+1+number"...

(Our new phone system will even email and text message anytime someone dials frakking "911" so at least you know to grab your jacket and head to the door...)

Just try convincing folks that using "8" would be just fine and everyone would survive learning how to punch the right button for an outside line... even if it would take a year or more to get the false "911" calls to stop.

"Oh no, that will cause all sorts of confusion. Isn't there anything else we can do?"

"Yeah, convince the people that are too dumb to dial '8+number' to stop dialing 911."

"Hmmm."

Don't you like being the magician.
'Help. All my documents are gone.'
A minute later - 'Are these what you're looking for'
'Yes, thank you thank you thank you'
And don't tell them they dragged their folder to one below.

"Email server crashed."
"I thought we put that on the VM partition last month?"
"That was the test email server, the prod is still on that Dell PowerEdge from 1998."
"OK, get the backup tapes, and we'll checkpoint restore, we should get everything from last night anyway."
"I got the incrementals already. They were encrypted with LKM, and we can't decrypt to cleartext, cuz the keys for the tapes are aged out of the DEK."
"Can we get new keys for the old tapes?"
"Yes, to write new files, but we need the old keys for the old tape volumes."
"I thought we went to RSA?"
"That's the test environment, this is still on prod, on that Dell."
"What do we do?"
"Call NetApp."
"Will they be able to fix it."
"Doubt it."
"Remind me again why we encrypted?"
"Fed contract requirement for those jobs we did - back in 2000."
"GGGGggggrrrrrrrraaaaahahahaaaaaahhhhhh!!!"

Why are you still using the outside line indicator at all??

Hah... Anyone who administers a typical office phone system with the retarded left-over "standard" of dialing "9" before outside calls...........

Just try convincing folks that using "8" would be just fine and everyone would survive learning how to punch the right button for an outside line... even if it would take a year or more to get the false "911" calls to stop.

"Oh no, that will cause all sorts of confusion. Isn't there anything else we can do?"

"Yeah, convince the people that are too dumb to dial '8+number' to stop dialing 911."

"Hmmm."

Actually, we did this a couple years ago and it worked well (switched from "9+#" to "9+7+#"). It doesn't take to long for them to just ask someone nearby when they can't make any phone calls at all, even to IT, which must have been really nice for the IT folks.

Hah... Anyone who administers a typical office phone system with the retarded left-over "standard" of dialing "9" before outside calls, gets to meet the officers at the back door every time some doofus dials "911" and then hangs up, when meaning to dial "9+1+number"...

Even dumber is the VOIP system that uses 991 to get an outside line.

<sigh>

To the people who built that and to the people who bought it: here are your signs.

Yes, this is a real system. Yes, this is a recently purchased system. Yes, 911 goes immediately to the local police. Yes, 911 has been accidently dialed more than once.

<sigh>

Back