The impossible turn...

kent you have discovered the 'cornering speed' that we learned in flight performance class. basically the bank angle is set so that the load factor is right at the load limit, and the airspeed set so that you are a microknot above a stall, and that is your theoretical minimum turn radius.

The difference is, I didn't have to pay a college to learn it. ;)

Anything can be mathematically proven on paper. Personally I try it in the airplane--and my experience has been that I can change direction with a steeper turn and less altitude loss.

I've also seen videos and have talked to other pilots that have noticed the same. It probably varies per airplane--but hell if I know--all I know is that I can get around with less loss with 60 degrees then I can with 45 degrees, every single time in the airplane.

When the **** hits the fan am I going to use the angle that I saw in some PDF? Or am I going to use the angle that I've verified works for me with the least loss? I'll take my own experience, thank you.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to fly their airplane, but in general I agree that experimental data is the primary source of scientific knowledge, although math is a big part of it as well.

From reading the Wright Brothers' book How We Invented the Airplane, the impression I got was that they succeeded where others failed because they did the math, in combination with wind tunnel testing.

I have stopped flying in aircraft that have header tanks.

Jay, I hope your friend recovers his robustness. Burning really sucks.

I know what you mean. We have a 1/2 gal. "header" tank but it's mounted in the corner of a rear bulkhead which is super strong, with all fuel lines upgraded to milspec. Still have a wing tank off each of my ears though...

Back