The IFR fun begins....

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
I have always wanted to take Doug Stewarts East Coast IFR adventure and looks like a break in my schedule is going to allow it to happen. :goofy:

We are departing October 1 and returning on October 5. Here's where were going and proposed routing: (Until ATC goes us full reroute!):raspberry:

DAY ONE:
1. 1B1 - KAVP D ATHOS V270 DNY V449 LHY D
2. KAVP – KHGR D DIANO V106 SEG V31 HAR V377 HGR D
3. KHGR – KROA D MRB D MOL V473 HOBOS ROA D
4. KROA – KAVL D

DAY TWO:
  • KAVL – KDNL D TUXDO D IRQ D
  • KDNL – KAYS BEANS V185 DOVER V157 (AMG) AYS D
  • KAYS – KSGJ OHDEA V243 CRG D
  • KSGJ – LEE ROYES V267 KIZER D
  • LEE – KSSI KIZER V267 CRG V37 SSI D

DAY THREE:
  • KSSI – KILM TYBEE V1 (CHS) CRE V70 ILM D
  • KILM – KMQI – KFFA D GOLLA V70 (ISO) PEARS D STIKK D
  • KFFA – KMFV D ECG V266 SUNNS V139 (ORF) CCV D
  • KMFV – N14 D SWL V139 SIE D

DAY FOUR:
  • N14 – KISP D CYN V16 (JFK) DPK D
  • KISP – KOWD D HTO V V308 (GON) ORW V16 WOONS D
  • KOWD – KPSM D
  • KPSM – KRKD D ENE D
  • KRKD – KBHB / MAP – KBGR D

DAY FIVE:
  • KBGR – KBML BGR V104 BML D
  • KBML – KVSF / MAP - KLEB BML AYZOO V104 MPV V151 LEB D
  • KLEB – KDDH D JAMMA D CAM D
  • KDDH – 1B1 D CAM D CIRRU D
Maybe I'll bump into a few POA'rs along the way.

Last edited:
You will quickly learn that, when flying in the east, the words "Have new routing, advise ready to copy" are common. :)

The first couple of times it's annoying. After you get used to it, though, it's not a big deal. Generally the routings aren't too bad. If you get a really bad routing (this is where a moving map GPS helps, because it will show you the entire route once it's dialed in), you can yell at them and ask for something better. Also, for routes that you frequently fly, you'll come to learn what they'll give you, and throw that in. For example, if I'm going from Williamsport to Wings or PHL, I know the route is FQM V164 ETX PTW. There are also tools you can use to look up what routings people have used. If you see a commercial carrier (like someone flying a C208 every day) filing the same route, then that's a pretty good bet that route is a good one. :)

You will quickly learn that, when flying in the east, the words "Have new routing, advise ready to copy" are common. :)

The first couple of times it's annoying. After you get used to it, though, it's not a big deal. Generally the routings aren't too bad. If you get a really bad routing (this is where a moving map GPS helps, because it will show you the entire route once it's dialed in), you can yell at them and ask for something better. Also, for routes that you frequently fly, you'll come to learn what they'll give you, and throw that in. For example, if I'm going from Williamsport to Wings or PHL, I know the route is FQM V164 ETX PTW. There are also tools you can use to look up what routings people have used. If you see a commercial carrier (like someone flying a C208 every day) filing the same route, then that's a pretty good bet that route is a good one. :)

Hey Ted, good advice! I too have been fortunate or unfortunate to experience slight changes and full route changes. The 530 makes it pretty easy all in all. I use fltplan.com and check what others received for routing and file accordingly.

Too bad you didn't have time to stop in Simsbury, CT this Sunday. HUGE fly-in! Safe travels on the ARF missions :)

IFR clearances can be interesting. On an Angel Flight I did a few weeks back, I got some awful clearance that literally added 200 nm to a 250 nm flight. I complained to ATC and got cleared direct to destination after that. The 530 helps in that regard (or in my case the KLN 94) because it was obvious what the problem was once I punched it in. That was slightly less obvious on the charts, especially with multiple charts.

Getting the in-flight clearance changes is good practice. On my last ARF flight home from Manchester, I got a full route clearance (mainly because I forgot what they'd given me last time), and typed it all in in about 5 minutes of looking at the charts. My copilot (a student pilot) looked in amazement at how I just punched it in with brief looking at the charts while flying the plane (no autopilot) and said "How do you do that?!" "Practice." When I first started instrument flying, that was a rather daunting task. Now? Just another part of the game.

Someone in ATC once told me "File whatever works best for you, and if we don't like it we'll change it." I tend to do that, unless I know for sure what I'm going to get anyway.

Someone in ATC once told me "File whatever works best for you, and if we don't like it we'll change it." I tend to do that, unless I know for sure what I'm going to get anyway.

lol reminds me of a charter pilot (and former CFI of mine) that i met once at an airport in Ohio. he had filed direct at 5000 feet in the Navajo he was flying, from NW Iowa. This took him directly over ORD. Easier than trying to out-guess Chicago Approach I guess. He filed direct for the return trip to, at 4000 :D

lol reminds me of a charter pilot (and former CFI of mine) that i met once at an airport in Ohio. he had filed direct at 5000 feet in the Navajo he was flying, from NW Iowa. This took him directly over ORD. Easier than trying to out-guess Chicago Approach I guess. He filed direct for the return trip to, at 4000 :D

Bet 20 bucks he went to KELSI. ;)

That works.. I file direct to destination from a VOR when entering DC or NY airspace.

For some reason - of all places -- it seems Harrisburg gives me the most last minute, mindless, out of the way routing changes.

That sounds like a very cool adventure and possibly years of IFR experience under normal circumstances all packed into 6 days. I'm envious.

That sounds like a very cool adventure and possibly years of IFR experience under normal circumstances all packed into 6 days. I'm envious.

Thanks! I am pretty excited and look forward to the challenges. Kinda like a Baptism by fire!

For some reason - of all places -- it seems Harrisburg gives me the most last minute, mindless, out of the way routing changes.

The stupidest routing I ever got was from Philly, but Harrisburg definitely is good about last-minute routing changes that don't make a lot of sense. Usually for me it's because I'm approaching the ADIZ.

Of course, I always take off out of Williamsport "Cleared as filed via direct." Now if I have a comm failure before they have a chance to give me new routing... ;)

Nice idea, would never try it.

Your plane, or does he have a new one? I thought he crashed his Cardinal?

Should be fun. I've done the same thing out west with Field Morey. Great experience.

Should be fun. I've done the same thing out west with Field Morey. Great experience.

I don't think it was the Cardinal. I think it was a taildragger? Using my Arrow...

I stand corrected! Yes, it was his Cardinal which he replaced.

5 days of working every system controller from Maine to Florida. Requests, direct, reroutes,, we did it all. Had a chance to stop at First Flight and reflect on the moment. Another awesome experience! I would highly recommend this trip and plan on doing it again in the fall of 2010. New places and adventures, here we come!

Last edited:

Allentown TRACON must use that as their motto or something. Anytime I pass through their IFR, I get at least 3 or 4 re-routes at the minimum. :nono:

Then I get handed off to NY Approach and they change it back to what I wanted. :smile:

Back