The Icon A5 is starting to attract buyers

Small float planes dont do well in waves. If you have waves that are big enough to make the airplane go back up in the air (like going off ski mogul) at landing speed, its too big to land on. What happens is you land on the wave and get thrown back up in the air and SMACK on the uphill side of the next wave and break something. And no, you are not going to be able to control exactly where you land on the moving waves. If the waves are much more than ripples, things can start breaking. You might get lucky and re-land on the downhill side smoothly after getting thrown back up. Get unlucky and you break something.

There are a LOT more hazards with a float plane than landing at maintained airports. Rocks and logs just under the water surface that you cant see is another. If in doubt go to the airport and land on a maintained and monitored runway (another reason why you need an amphib).

Back in the mid '60s, my first instructor was killed when he hit a submerged log while landing a Republic SeaBee.

"It can transport two people at a high speed cruise of 95kts"

mjl.gif

I think I'd rather have an Air-Cam if I'm just tooling around on the water. Multi time to boot!

1939_3.jpg

That MJ gif keeps cracking me up. That is probably the best place to put that...good job :D:D:D:D

Back