The Human Factor

wabower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Wayne
Jay Hopkins writes good common-sense articles in Flying Magazine that focus on how pilots screw the pooch, and more importantly how other pilots might learn to avoid similar situations. The September issue about a P-210 and high DA is both predictable and informative. FYI

Jay Hopkins writes good common-sense articles in Flying Magazine that focus on how pilots screw the pooch, and more importantly how other pilots might learn to avoid similar situations. The September issue about a P-210 and high DA is both predictable and informative. FYI

I just read that article. I had the same conclusion you did. If he had changes one thing, it would have been ok, if he had changed 5 it would have been a no brainer

If Flying is going back to having good writers, I may have to re-up after many years of not. :)

I was thinking about that as I reviewed the TOC for this month's issue and then read some of the articles. Some here would immediately ***** about the G-650 cover picture (that I ignored) but I enjoyed it and got the impression they're working their way back to mainstream GA. YMMV.
If Flying is going back to having good writers, I may have to re-up after many years of not. :)

I don't mind the cover photo. I miss good aviation writers and I'm really bored reading Yodice go on and on about legal topics.

I can get that bored of legal topics here, reading Ron's stuff. ;)

Probably won't ever be another Gordon Baxter in my lifetime, but man aviation writing is dull these days....

Martha Lunken is a hoot, funniest av-writer ever. Hopkins is interesting, I like Abend's stuff about the airlines (this month he got a Mustang 510 type) as well as Garrison's tech articles. I've never thought any of the rags were great cover-to-cover material, so don't expect more than a few good stories each month.

I don't mind the cover photo. I miss good aviation writers and I'm really bored reading Yodice go on and on about legal topics.

I can get that bored of legal topics here, reading Ron's stuff. ;)

Probably won't ever be another Gordon Baxter in my lifetime, but man aviation writing is dull these days....

I was pleasently suprised with the last issue of flying. Especially the article by a former 135 freight pilot about one of his companies more challenging runs.

Its been getting better

The last editor I thought was a pompous ****. Robert Goyer seems a little more in touch with GA.
Articles I read in order every month, Aftermath, Technicalities, Jumpseat, Gear up, Unusual Attitudes, Human Factor and I learned about flying from that.
I don't mind the test on the big jets, 172's don't change much year on year, so not sure how many tests they could redo on those

I nearly cancelled when they started doing a bunch of stuff on helicopters, (which I find as interesting as watching grass grow), but they seemed to have got past that faze.

The best book on human factors I have ever run across is The Naked Pilot by David Beaty. The author is a psychologist, as well as an ex-RAF and airline pilot. He has an accompanying volume :The Human Factor in Aircraft Accidents Worth a look for any pilot.

Martha is even more of a Hoot in person. Has been awhile but I have met her on a couple occasions when she was attending / hosting some of the old Wings events. We are talking back in the 80's.

Back