The horror!!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I broke my plane today. Trying to find a way to make it better without starting over.

While bending the right side to shape and gluing the crossmembers in place, I heard a loud "SNAP!" and found that the longeron had snapped all the way through, taking a piece of skin with it.

This is a sad day in the life of Nick.

What do the instructions say regarding how to bend that, Nick?
No steaming or anything to accomodate bending?
Surely you are not the only builder to run up against this problem, do you have a type club to ask?
Two steps forward, one step back?

Nick, sorry for the troubles. Hang in there. It's all a learning experience. When you're done, have figured out the kinks and know how to improve on the building process the next time around, it will be that much better. And, you will build again. It's one of those things you get hooked on.

The more I look the other half of my garage now that nearly everything is organized after the move, I see that as a fantastic opportunity waiting to happen. But first... the CFI ticket! One thing at a time. :yes:

Pictures, Nick. Pictures.

I just ripped the skin off the side of the fuselage, Greg, so ...but it appears taking the skin off may have done more damage than good, I don't want to take any pictures right now because I'm so damn frustrated.

Now it looks like I'm starting the side from scratch, regardless of how I could have fixed it.

NEXT time, I'm not skinning the sides until they're joined, plans be damned.

Damn Nick, hang in there....go do something else for a bit and come back to it.

I was wondering how that was going to play out. Seems with the skin on, there would be almost no way to bend it. Maybe we need to visit that guy out in Prescott and talk shop with him. Sorry Nick. What a bummer.

I broke my plane today. Trying to find a way to make it better without starting over.

While bending the right side to shape and gluing the crossmembers in place, I heard a loud "SNAP!" and found that the longeron had snapped all the way through, taking a piece of skin with it.

This is a sad day in the life of Nick.

My Dr.(AME) has given up on building his Glasair 1-TD, it is a partal kit with wing completed, and the engine Lyk.150 horse 0-320 is on a stand. he is wanting to sell. I will ask price and inventory if you are interested.

Ah, Nick - just wait till ya start working in METAL - one learns quickly to start with the long pieces, so when it screws up, you can try the next longest piece that will fit in what's left of the angle, then the NEXT longest piece ...

And I have ended up with a screwed up version of the smallest thing I might could have made with that piece of 6061 aluminum angle - which gets tossed, and I start over. :(

Luckily for me the Air Camper is already at boat stage!

When bending that fuse, it's slowly, slowly, slowly. I believe I would bend it a bit, lock it into place and come back the next day and bend it some more - till it was where I wanted it! ;)

Hang in there, buddy.

Not yet. Soon.

I am just hoping the "soon" does not involve photographs or videos of flaming parts of a nascent airplane.

Nick,

Sorry to hear about your project, I am sure youll get back to building soon. I would certainly not like to see you not building!

Keep at it man and dont stop building! Its okay to take a break and regroup but dont stop......

The good news is that you have the jigs made up so its a matter of some wood, glue time and attitude. You were really doing well, you can achieve that build level in no time. Dont let it take you down, just keep on building and all things will be fine.

John

Back