The hood

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I've always borrowed a view limiting device for the few times I've wanted to use one, but now it's about time I got my own.

I wear glasses with readers at the bottom, so many hoods can be kind of a pain because my cheater lenses at the bottom of my progressives are normally uncovered but don't give me good intermediate range vision of the panel. Just something I've had to get used to, and I know I can't be the only person with that problem.

I'm just about to take a pair of safety glasses that fit over my daily specs and using Scotch (or electrical) tape to make my own Foggles.

Any other ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

I made my own. I placed tape on the area I wanted to be clear and scuffed the glasses with a scotch Brite pad. Then remove the tape and you have the best home grown foggles ever made.

I made my own. I placed tape on the area I wanted to be clear and scuffed the glasses with a scotch Brite pad. Then remove the tape and you have the best home grown foggles ever made.
That's one method - I was looking at adding opaque tape rather than masking off and either scuffing or spray painting.

I'm not sure if there's any sort of FAA hood standard but your idea of scotch tape should work fine. I'll be doing some hood at work in a few weeks and I hate the fit of the foggles under the helmet. Even flying my plane I don't like sun glasses under the ear seals.

This is how we did it in the Army. An official "vision limiting device." :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 41
During my private pilot training I used my instructors hood. On one flight he forgot to bring it assuming I had one. When he discovered this, he took a sectional, unfolded it partway and had me stick it under my headset. "Hood". It worked as well as the normal one.

I used foggles during my instrument training. (I haven't finished.) But I did have one problem with them: I turned toward the sunset after going missed at KCRG (Jacksonville, FL) and the setting sun whited out the whole foggles. I couldn't see anything. That's when I started wearing a baseball cap under my headset so I could use the brim as a sunshade. Clever, I know.

John

I've seen people take a normal pair of foggles (safety glasses type) and tape/glue Rx lenses inside to make them Rx foggles. Seems to work well. Something that could be easily done on your own with lenses from old specs or any decent optician should be able to cut some from some cheapo lenses.

I've seen people take a normal pair of foggles (safety glasses type) and tape/glue Rx lenses inside to make them Rx foggles. Seems to work well. Something that could be easily done on your own with lenses from old specs or any decent optician should be able to cut some from some cheapo lenses.
That gives me and idea - my eye guy is also a pilot. But then I'd pay $$ to get him to cut some Rx lenses instead of the 3 cents of tape I can stick on a pair of safeties I already have.

I've always borrowed a view limiting device for the few times I've wanted to use one, but now it's about time I got my own.

I wear glasses with readers at the bottom, so many hoods can be kind of a pain because my cheater lenses at the bottom of my progressives are normally uncovered but don't give me good intermediate range vision of the panel. Just something I've had to get used to, and I know I can't be the only person with that problem.

I'm just about to take a pair of safety glasses that fit over my daily specs and using Scotch (or electrical) tape to make my own Foggles.

Any other ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

If you can see the panel without glasses take them off completely.

I use progressive bifocals and they suck with the Jeppshades. I get a neck ache from tilting my head back to focus on the panel plus looking through the little "window" is painful since the progressives have different focal points depending on where you're looking.

If you can see the panel without glasses take them off completely.

I use progressive bifocals and they suck with the Jeppshades. I get a neck ache from tilting my head back to focus on the panel plus looking through the little "window" is painful since the progressives have different focal points depending on where you're looking.

Foggles and Jeppshades have the same design flaw - they only allow you to see from the lower section of your glasses, and for those of us with bifocals or progressives, that's the near vision section. I can see and read what's in my lap, but for seeing the panel, we both have the same problem.

Something like this:
http://www.billweder.com/hood/

seems like it would solve that problem. I guess it's hard to look cool no matter what you use.

I have the 'best ifr hood' linked above and it has served me well, I'd recommend it.

Are there codified design standards that a regular baseball cap doesnt meet? If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. Tends to be self-limiting behavior.

Are there codified design standards that a regular baseball cap doesnt meet? If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. Tends to be self-limiting behavior.
Dunno - I guess it's up to the DPE to decide, until then you really are just cheating yourself.

Back