The Holy Grail Of Noise-Cancelling Headsets?

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
First, I am not connected in any way with DAK other than being a customer.

Here are noise-cancelling earBUDS for $100 a pop. For another $50 they will make them Bluetooth compatible. Now you don't have to run wires all over the cabin and install jacks at every seat. Just a thought.

http://www.dak.com/Reviews/3305story.cfm

Jim

I've used Sennheizer ANL ear buds in my Fly Baby. Definitely work, but I personally find the hard ear buds a bit uncomfortable for long periods. Cordless would be nice, but I'd have to work out the Bluetooth for the mike, too.

One of the Fly Baby gang uses another brand of ANL ear buds, and positively swears by them.

I use "Plugfones" in the summer...foam ear plugs with a teeny speaker inside. $25 a set.

Folks will probably need an impedance matcher to use the 8-ohm buds with an aircraft system, scroll down to the "Earphones" section halfway down on this web page:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/h_headset.html

Ron Wanttaja

I'm pretty good at tuning my wife out, but these could make it easier.

Wow, didn't know DAK was still around. I remember buying ten of their cheap cassette tapes and getting all sorts of extras (cheep rca patch cords etc... ) thrown in.

I used to love the DAK catalog when I was younger. Always had cool stuff, and I used to like Drew's writing style.

That said, I'm not sure these would be very good in an airplane. For one thing, there's no microphone. (Which might not be a bad thing for some pax!) But also, you would want impedance matching, so they would work as you mean them to.

I used to love the DAK catalog when I was younger. Always had cool stuff, and I used to like Drew's writing style.

That said, I'm not sure these would be very good in an airplane. For one thing, there's no microphone. (Which might not be a bad thing for some pax!) But also, you would want impedance matching, so they would work as you mean them to.
If you do the Bluetooth thing, you don't have to worry about impedance matching. The phones jack has absolutely no idea what the 'phones impedance is because there are no wires.

JIm

If you do the Bluetooth thing, you don't have to worry about impedance matching. The phones jack has absolutely no idea what the 'phones impedance is because there are no wires.
Doesn't it have to match at the point where it plugs into the aircraft radio? May not need an impedance matcher with the ear buds, but seems to me you'd need one elsewhere.

Any good ideas on how to implement a microphone with this setup?

Ron Wanttaja

Doesn't it have to match at the point where it plugs into the aircraft radio? May not need an impedance matcher with the ear buds, but seems to me you'd need one elsewhere.

Any good ideas on how to implement a microphone with this setup?

Ron Wanttaja
I was wondering the same. They look like a great pair of noise canceling earbuds, but how do they serve as a headset in the airplane @weirdjim?

Back