The healing continues

Thanks for sharing.

Any warning signs of the impending exhaust valve destruction? Compression/leakdown, borescope, EGTs, etc? I know the plane was new to you, so I doubt it.

Glad to see your desire to get back on the horse when ready. I’m not so sure I would be. You’re in a place most of us have never been. Hope the best for you and your wife.

"The first private, instrument rated pilot looking for a discovery flight" made me laugh.

I think that getting back on that horse will be good for you in terms of helping with closure in the crash itself. Plus, you have a tremendous passion for aviation and it's good to see that not get dissuaded by the incident.

Gary....also, as you continue to process things, please don't feel like you need to limit yourself due to the engine brand. As much as I prefer Lycoming over TCM....they each have their weaknesses. I bet equally bad.....

I bet a borescope inspection could have identified the issues. That's my hope to safety with TCM in my bird. Each time the plugs come out....I look at the valves. If I wasn't comfortable with that....I'd sell.

I bet a borescope inspection could have identified the issues. That's my hope to safety with TCM in my bird. Each time the plugs come out....I look at the valves. If I wasn't comfortable with that....I'd sell.

Gary and I spoke about this in some detail and my feeling is that in this situation, a borescope would NOT have caught the failure.

Thanks for sharing. Any warning signs of the impending exhaust valve destruction? Compression/leakdown, borescope, EGTs, etc? I know the plane was new to you, so I doubt it.

I went through the annual with my shop who worked on my plane and worked on the Deb for many years. Compressions were very good, no leak down, and filters clean. I had just flown the plane down to NC for the last of my solo time with no problems. The 470 ran strong and temps always were good, no change from what the previous owner had seen for all his years. It was just a crap happens moment. Thanks for the well wishes, we're making good progress.

Gary, I wonder in retrospect if you recall any morning sickness issues before this happened, hard starts, rough running for a few minutes, sometimes engines give subtle hints that are easy to miss.

Gary, I wonder in retrospect if you recall any morning sickness issues before this happened, hard starts, rough running for a few minutes, sometimes engines give subtle hints that are easy to miss.

None, the only issue I had was the first solo hot start procedure that I didn't write down. I called the previous owner and she started right up, I felt like a dope. The plane flew flawlessly, never a hiccup, and other than my one hot start issue she would fire right up and purr along.

great to hear you guys are doing well (I told you the extra morphine would help).

do you think the video will be helpful in reviewing all that happened? I mean, did it capture most of the incident?

great to hear you guys are doing well (I told you the extra morphine would help).

do you think the video will be helpful in reviewing all that happened? I mean, did it capture most of the incident?

The video will fill in the numbers to confirm max altitude, time in the air, and that sort of stuff. With the face plant I don’t remember the actual landing but remember opening the door for Mary. Probably better off. ;)

In my experience with racing engines, a broken valve gives you zero warning, ever, and often results in more damage than even seen in Gary's engine.
Though I'd have to put that piston on my desk ...

Glad you and Mary are on the road to recovery. Thanks for the post.

The video will fill in the numbers to confirm max altitude, time in the air, and that sort of stuff. With the face plant I don’t remember the actual landing but remember opening the door for Mary. Probably better off. ;)

Gary, regardless what is on the video, you did a great job in a really bad situation, you and your better half survived. Will there be something to learn from the video? Maybe, but at the end of the day you performed well as confirmed by the outcome, survival. Hindsight is wonderful, but doesn't help when the **** hits the fan.

Back